Filling the motor mounts - Urethane - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:22 PM   #1
TripleLude
Elite Member

TripleLude has a spectacular aura aboutTripleLude has a spectacular aura about

Filling the motor mounts - Urethane

Filling the B20a5 motor mounts.

Many Third Generation Prelude owners have used Urethane to fill their motor mounts. Several people have complained that the filled mounts are too solid. Engine vibration is transferred to the body of the car, making it very uncomfortable to ride in.

From what I understand, everyone fills their motor mounts to the maximum with Urethane. It's simply overkill unless you are building a car strictly for the track. Here's my take on it, and a solution to this problem. Don't fill the whole mount.

Materials:

- 3M Window Weld Urethane (Autozone)
- Caulking gun
- Carb and Throttle Body Cleaner
- disposable gloves
- old, crappy shirt
- motor mounts
- bathroom with ceiling vent, bathtub
- small 115v room heater
- a work area you can get dirty
- isopropyl alcohol for cleanup
- rag
- 17mm socket and ratchet or equivalent

Step 1

Remove the mounts from the car, safely. Maybe buy 4 junkyard mounts. Be prepared to wait at least 3 days for drying, so don't leave the engine hanging from a hoist.
Disassemble the mounts and clean them with spray. I used carb and throttle body cleaner. Just soak them and then blast the crap from the rubber part. A dark liquid should result.

Step 2

Tape the mounts on one side. Cover the entire thing in tape, where you like it or not. I had one mount that was in peices so I did not tape it yet. You will understand why in a moment.

The busted mount.

I coated the edges of the rubber piece where it was broken. This, alone, is not a fix. Now that is done I can tape the back. No need to dry it until it's all done.

Step 3

Analyze the mounts for a moment. You are not filling the whole mount. Decide what needs to be filled. Think about how the engine will rotate during a hard takeoff. Also, consider what section of the mount will cause the most vibration if filled.

Simply put, do not fill the bottom section.

Here is what the mounts look like:

Once you know how you want to do this, proceed to the next step.

Step 4

The messy part. Put on your gloves and shirt, lay out the woad or cardboard, and load the Urethane. Stick the syringe in the mount against the tape and fill. As you fill, slowly move the syringe up to the top, away from the tape. This ensures an even fill without air pockets.

Mounts should look something like this:

Notice I did not fill the area directly under where the through-bolt goes.

You can use a paper towel or something to smooth out the Urethane on top. Leave the tape on for a bit.

Step 5

The Urethane must dry. Heat them for about 6-8 hours immediately after filling. Temps can be from 100*F to 180*F, more heat for less heating time. I stuck them in a bathtub with a heater blowing on them.

Also, remember the Urethane will release a toxic, air-bourne chemical as it dries. You will need a ceiling vent in your bathroom. And close the door.

After heating for 6-8 hours, you must let the Urethane cure. It will be soft on the surface, but still fluid underneath. Don't push on the dried surface, or it will squish and burst, introducing air pockets and other problems.

Remove the tape.

Give the mounts minimum 3 days to dry at room temperature.

Hope this post helps. Questions, concerns, discussion welcomed. I will update this a little later. If I missed something, let me know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
|
|
|

Last edited by TripleLude; 11-25-2008 at 11:27 PM.
TripleLude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2008, 11:28 PM   #2
team123luder
Elite Member

team123luder has a spectacular aura aboutteam123luder has a spectacular aura aboutteam123luder has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to team123luder Send a message via MSN to team123luder

Prelude of the Month

Nice.... window weld FTW. The shit I used was terrible but it did work.

team123luder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2008, 12:10 AM   #3
flashman
BAN ALL MODS!!!

flashman will become famous soon enough

Very nice write-up. I feel a sticky coming along.

If you dont drive a Benz that makes me better than you

flashman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2008, 12:17 AM   #4
jlude90
Preludepower Member

jlude90 will become famous soon enough
good write-up man, and as always, way to DIY

most people say though, that the front and rear mount or your power mounts and don't vibrate, but the side ones do, so maybe, solide front and rear, and partial sides?

and i think this gets the award for most innovative use of an 8-track of 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98VTEC
Its a bunch of fruitcakes in a pie that doesnt mix, with no baking experience.
jlude90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2008, 01:03 AM   #5
1funryd
Elite Member

1funryd is a jewel in the rough1funryd is a jewel in the rough1funryd is a jewel in the rough1funryd is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to 1funryd Send a message via MSN to 1funryd Send a message via Yahoo to 1funryd

Tried to stick it but I am having trouble with the site for some reason, I will get it in there soon.

Sean

3rd Gen Aftermarket Manager

(Clik Here)
Email:

(Danny19 - JDM RH Drive) (1Funryd - H23 Swap) (B20luda - Turbo Charged H22)Representing All of 3rd Gens!!!
1funryd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2008, 01:16 AM   #6
flashman
BAN ALL MODS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1funryd View Post
Tried to stick it but I am having trouble with the site for some reason, I will get it in there soon.
You have failed us all Sean. (hangs head in shame)

JK.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:17 PM   #7
xtreemjedi
Lude Addict

xtreemjedi is on a distinguished road
That's weird, I'm actually doing this TOMORROW! awesome.

xtreemjedi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2008, 12:23 PM   #8
Pdx88lude
True Luder

Pdx88lude is on a distinguished road
This is old news what the hell ?
Pdx88lude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2008, 12:34 PM   #9
flashman
BAN ALL MODS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdx88lude View Post
This is old news what the hell ?

No shit this is old news, this in fact has been done before. The fact is this is a great how to writeup for those that have not been willing to accomplish this on their own.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:06 PM   #10
BA5
Lude Boss

BA5 will become famous soon enoughBA5 will become famous soon enough
A few notes to add:

I'd probably give it at least 2 weeks to cure. When I filled mine, the urethane I used said it cures at a rate of approximately 1/8" per day. That's from the areas where the urethane is touching air, not rubber, and you'll wind up filling a pretty thick area. I remember checking mine after 5 days and thinking they were still a little soft feeling.

Also, I found that using an ice cube worked very well to smooth it out at the surface.

BA5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2008, 01:13 PM   #11
88SE Lude
Prelude Aficionado

88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of
I keep meaning to do mine (front one at least) but never have the time to be without the car for that long.
Anybody got any urethane that cures in 30 minutes?

nice write-up.

"You are not entitled to an opinion. An opinion is what you have when you don't have any facts. When you have the facts, you don't need an opinion"

I'd rather you hate me for my honesty than like me for dis-honesty.
88SE Lude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2008, 02:26 PM   #12
TripleLude
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA5 View Post
A few notes to add:

I'd probably give it at least 2 weeks to cure. When I filled mine, the urethane I used said it cures at a rate of approximately 1/8" per day. That's from the areas where the urethane is touching air, not rubber, and you'll wind up filling a pretty thick area. I remember checking mine after 5 days and thinking they were still a little soft feeling.

Also, I found that using an ice cube worked very well to smooth it out at the surface.
That's a good idea, with the ice cube.

Two weeks is a very safe curing period. Did you heat them during that time?

Mind if I stick this quote in the thread?

|
|
|
|
|
|

Last edited by TripleLude; 11-26-2008 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:58 PM   #13
DAAMANNN
Preludepower Member

DAAMANNN is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to DAAMANNN
Excellent write-up. But i lovvve the vibration feeling... makes you feel like your in a race car, shit vibrating around i lovve it.

DAAMANNN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2009, 11:45 PM   #14
Mikeallen154
True Luder

Mikeallen154 is on a distinguished road
is there something else you can use that cures a bit faster?
Mikeallen154 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2009, 12:59 AM   #15
Sparcomarco
Elite bitches

Sparcomarco is on a distinguished road

This picture is just wrong.

needs a label, "just add water"

Sparcomarco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2009, 03:17 AM   #16
TripleLude
Elite Member

Lol. water + electric heater

I had thought that too, sparco.

|
|
|
|
|
|
Old 03-09-2009, 04:28 AM   #17
88SE Lude
Prelude Aficionado

88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of88SE Lude has much to be proud of
The stuff I used is called Tiger Seal over here.
I left it overnight to cure, time depends on how thick you apply it .

"You are not entitled to an opinion. An opinion is what you have when you don't have any facts. When you have the facts, you don't need an opinion"

I'd rather you hate me for my honesty than like me for dis-honesty.
88SE Lude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2009, 03:44 PM   #18
Mikeallen154
True Luder

i just dont have a heater to dry it with. think it'll be ok if i just let them sit to dry?
Old 03-10-2009, 02:41 PM   #19
Mikeallen154
True Luder

well i got the stuff from autozone today, now i just have to take the motor mounts out. i think im only gonna do the front two, cause the back one was just replaced and its one of the front ones that are broken.

so can i just leave them out in my garage and let them dry? cause i dont have a heater, i live in florida, so you can imagine my garage gets pretty damn hot during the day
Old 06-02-2009, 10:27 PM   #20
TripleLude
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeallen154 View Post
well i got the stuff from autozone today, now i just have to take the motor mounts out. i think im only gonna do the front two, cause the back one was just replaced and its one of the front ones that are broken.

so can i just leave them out in my garage and let them dry? cause i dont have a heater, i live in florida, so you can imagine my garage gets pretty damn hot during the day
You can and that's fine. Without heating, they take a lot longer to dry and cure.

If you have an oven, you can stick them in there at 180*F. It's probably best to do this at night when you can open the windows and air the place out.

|
|
|
|
|
|
Old 12-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #21
kisaku1218
Lude Dude

kisaku1218 is on a distinguished road
I know this should be simple to you guys but how I suppose to take out the engine mount? do anyone know the instruction for 2G engine mount take off?
kisaku1218 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 12:35 PM   #22
1funryd
Elite Member

1funryd is a jewel in the rough1funryd is a jewel in the rough1funryd is a jewel in the rough1funryd is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to 1funryd Send a message via MSN to 1funryd Send a message via Yahoo to 1funryd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisaku1218 View Post
I know this should be simple to you guys but how I suppose to take out the engine mount? do anyone know the instruction for 2G engine mount take off?
You need basically get either an engine hoist or floor jack to release the tension on the mounts then unbolt the mounts one by one.

Sean

3rd Gen Aftermarket Manager

(Clik Here)
Email:

(Danny19 - JDM RH Drive) (1Funryd - H23 Swap) (B20luda - Turbo Charged H22)Representing All of 3rd Gens!!!
1funryd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 11:02 PM   #23
kisaku1218
Lude Dude

kisaku1218 is on a distinguished road
so I put jack under Oil pan (with cardboard so I don't puncture the pan) and jack it little bit, then I release the bolt to take off the engine mount, put new one in, then bolt back?

how is clearance when I take them out? do I have to jack up engine pretty high to really change them? if so, how I put them back? I know I need to start the engine to rev the engine little but to let it find its center so it don't vibe, and repeat the process if it still shakes....what am I missing here?
kisaku1218 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 01:55 AM   #24
Cheeze-91lude
Ludacious

Cheeze-91lude is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisaku1218 View Post
so I put jack under Oil pan (with cardboard so I don't puncture the pan) and jack it little bit, then I release the bolt to take off the engine mount, put new one in, then bolt back?

how is clearance when I take them out? do I have to jack up engine pretty high to really change them? if so, how I put them back? I know I need to start the engine to rev the engine little but to let it find its center so it don't vibe, and repeat the process if it still shakes....what am I missing here?
Fail! Don't put a jack on your oil pan. And just pick it up a little from the tranny. It should lift up enough to take the tranny mount off. And maybe even the other mount by the timing belt.

Follow me on instagram:cesar_91prelude
Cheeze-91lude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #25
Peroxidal
Lude Dude

Peroxidal is on a distinguished road
nice right up
Peroxidal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement