Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Bearderator
8,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my set of S.Drives yesterday, and had them mounted today on my championship white SH rims(courtesy of 5spd5gen). Before these tires I had Altimax HPs(from the previous owners). Tirerack.com actually lists the HPs as being better in most every category, but I don't feel that is the case at all. The very first thing I noticed was the S.Drives are MUCH quieter, both at low speeds and on the highway. The ride did feel a bit smoother as well, however that could have just been me. Traction vastly improved. After I warmed up the tires I took them out and easily hit the same speed around turns that the HPs would start voicing their concerns. With the HPs I used to be able to get more than chirp out of second gear, but these S.Drives give a very short chirp and continue on holding the road.

I'm not going to rate the tires on a scale of 1-10 as I feel that only having 2 different brands of tires on the prelude since I've owned it isn't enough to give a proper rating. I have no idea what the difference between the S.Drives and the top of the line tires costing $150+ would be, but at $87 a piece at the time of purchase (May 2010) I am seriously pleased that I went with these tires.

Very simple, not noticeable lettering(from a few feet away) or coloration on the tires. Keeps the look clean. :emthup:

And yes that's coffee on my sunroof. Just came back from a coffee run when I took the pic :)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Very good choice bro on picking the s drives. One of the best brands we sell are Yokohoma at Discount Tire. I give S-Drives a 8/10 since so many customers love em, and for its price too. Another tire you should look into next time is the Yokohoma YK520's, those are awsome tires and I rate them a 10/10!!!

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,258 Posts
I recently had a set of S.Drives mounted on my Prelude as well, I was kind of skeptical at first. Stepping down from Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's is kind of hard to do, but my set was shot.

I have about 150 miles on the Yokahama's so far, and i'm pretty impressed. They're much more quiet, soak up the bumps a little better, and look sharp mounted on the car.

I have yet to fully break them in and test the flat-out cornering (which means the most to me), but for now I will say that i do like them quite a bit.

·
Premium Member
2,683 Posts
Those S drives will also last a lot longer than your GoodYear F-1s. I have owned the GoodYear F-1s, the BFG KDWs and the S. Drives. BFG were the loudest but gave me the best traction, F-1s were awesome but the life of them is really low, and the S. Drives were the quietest.

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,258 Posts
I also went from F1 GS-D3's, I was kind of nervous stepping down from such a good tire- but price left me with only a few options.

After having these tires on my car for around 1,500 miles, I can say I am VERY pleased with their performance. They stick very well, have a very audible break-away point when you push them too far, and the price is awesome for the value. :emthup:

My car is my daily driver and weekend warrior, and rest assured- I drive my car HARD. The sidewalls are fairly stiff, the rubber compound is great, and I will even go as far as saying they look nice too. :laugh: Highly recommend for the buyer who loves to carve corners and still have a decent ride.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
make sure you rotate these tires often to keep the tread even... I bought my S-drives when they first came out while i was working at discount tire and loved them! as the tread wears down, you will notice they do not like the rain... In all though i would rate these tires an 8.5/10...

·
Registered
47 Posts
keep us updated on wear i was thinking of the S-Drive for my next set. Had sumitomo HTR Z front only lasted 20K rear are still good but front are gone.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was under the impression that the S.Drive was a summer/performance tire. Would it fit the bill as an all-season performance tire?

·
Bearderator
8,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would not consider them an all season. That doesn't mean I didn't use them all season though. They don't get much traction in the snow though, so I was always wary.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
i put some 225/45/R17 ( oem tire size ) on my g/f's bmw but i also filled the LCA's with polyurethane at the same time so i couldnt notice just the difference of the tires. but i have high expectations from them . i havent heard anything bad about them. they feel nice and firm =P

·
Registered
4 Posts
"I was under the impression that the S.Drive was a summer/performance tire." I totally agree with you "Prim3tim3". I also think that S.drive has a long life time. Anyway Some other tires are also good and efficient.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts