Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup. The title is correct. Most people dont want to see a check engine light. In my situation, I want to see it because i was suppose to use that light for diagnostics, shift light, and a 2 step launch control with hondata. So now without that, I cant use it and the shop wants me to pay an arm and a leg for it.

Any Ideas on how i can resolve this? Could it be that some relays under the dash had failed? I replaced the clusters twice because i thought that could be the problem but still no luck. Also, my gas light doesnt work because i was curious and kept driving the car until it started to sputter to realize the light doesnt work.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Tips on removing the cluster.

Yup. The title is correct. Most people dont want to see a check engine light. In my situation, I want to see it because i was suppose to use that light for diagnostics, shift light, and a 2 step launch control with hondata. So now without that, I cant use it and the shop wants me to pay an arm and a leg for it.

Any Ideas on how i can resolve this? Could it be that some relays under the dash had failed? I replaced the clusters twice because i thought that could be the problem but still no luck. Also, my gas light doesnt work because i was curious and kept driving the car until it started to sputter to realize the light doesnt work.
Hey there... I just went through that... To replace the Check Engine Bulb, you need to go to your local parts place and buy the smallest bulb they sell retail... its like #78 or 79 or something... Then you have to remove the cluster and COMPLETELY disassemble it. Be VERY careful with everything, if you drop something or short something, your guages will never work the same. ( I broke my Temperature gauge some how and I was VERY careful and I am an expert at taking it apart.) The local salvage yard here has new SI clusters for 80$, In hindsight, I kind of wish I just bought a new cluster at first instead of replacing the bulb... There is a service manual online available that takes you step by step on removing the cluster, and taking it apart, but I will give you some insight: Make sure you pull out the dimmer switch, and the fog light switches first, and get the two screws with a long Phillips magnetic screwdriver behind them before you pull on the dash or you'll break the panel. There are three screws on the top you need a short Phillips to reach, then you just pull towards you. (There are 4 clips that may fall out when you pull (put them back before reinserting, and any of the three speed clips may fall out of the top three.)

·
Registered
779 Posts
i know for sure its not the bulbs. because i pulled one out that was from a working part like the brake bulb. still wont work.
i tried thet too and relized that the contact point for the light bulb had worn out and i guess ill have to buy that curcuit board i dont know what its called or how to take that piece of

·
Registered
734 Posts
sounds like an issue with how you did the obd1 conversion, specifically the wiring at the ecu plugs
x2..

jdm3genprelude: Did you try to pm me as well? Your name was listed on my non recieveid PM's this week. Send away as my PM box is clean again.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
when i first did the swap, it was working fine. i remembered everytime i hit the rev limiter, the check engine light would come on. and then one day i did it again and no check engine light. thats when i changed out the clusters twice, the circuit board when the bulbs are mounted on to, and even swap the bulbs. sigh...might just have to let a mechanic that knows dc wiring take a look at it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts