Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok went 2 wash my car today and i found gum hardened on my car under a door guard on the paint. what would be the best way to get it off without damaging the paint.
Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
Brake cleaner is not good for paint. I've removed paint just by spraying on a firewall. I didn't have to scrub it off, either.

What about a dremel polisher attachment. It's like a spinning cloth disc. If you can pull enough off by hand. The rest will come off with some compound and a light polisher.

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
goo gone imo works the best and requires very little elbow grease. it was safe enough on my new vehicle to get the dealer sticker off anyways. paint was fine when finished. dulled a little, but after wax you can't tell.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well im gettin a paint job eventually so a little dull wont kill me i jus dont want it to come off. thanks
Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Brake cleaner is not good for paint. I've removed paint just by spraying on a firewall. I didn't have to scrub it off, either.

What about a dremel polisher attachment. It's like a spinning cloth disc. If you can pull enough off by hand. The rest will come off with some compound and a light polisher.
??? Would you like me to post a video? Or maybe my part time job at Midas is just a shady garage. What kinds did you use. We do it all the time, no problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
??? Would you like me to post a video? Or maybe my part time job at Midas is just a shady garage. What kinds did you use. We do it all the time, no problems whatsoever.
Slow down I wasn't attacking. But yeah, it was SuperTech brake cleaner. I use it as a paint/grease remover and surface prep. What type of brake cleaner did you use?

·
Registered
739 Posts
^^^
What's up with that vid? Someone you know?

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Best way to remove gum off anything usually is to freeze it. Not very sticky when super cold. Maybe turn one of those cans of air upside down and blast it? Other than that, I agree GooGone works wonders.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Best way to remove gum off anything usually is to freeze it. Not very sticky when super cold. Maybe turn one of those cans of air upside down and blast it? Other than that, I agree GooGone works wonders.
hydrogen for the win.
lol

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
yeah i was gonna say freezing is the best way to remove gum.

i used to work at a movie theater and when we got gum in the carpet, we had this spray that would freeze the gum. it was made up of propane, isobutane, and other extremely flammable gasses.... (lol ask me how i know) it worked very well, usually you could get all the gum out, it wouldn't leave a trace.

a can of compressed air, turned upside down may be cold enough to freeze it.

·
OT ****
1,055 Posts
get electronics duster..flip it upsidedown and that should be cold enough to do it....and if you like you can blow your brain up alittle bit with it...your choice

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
yeah i was gonna say freezing is the best way to remove gum.

i used to work at a movie theater and when we got gum in the carpet, we had this spray that would freeze the gum. it was made up of propane, isobutane, and other extremely flammable gasses.... (lol ask me how i know) it worked very well, usually you could get all the gum out, it wouldn't leave a trace.

a can of compressed air, turned upside down may be cold enough to freeze it.
Dude I worked at a theater for 2 years (prob easiest job I ever had). I know what you're talking about. There's a can of it around my place somewhere.

You know we never used that can of freeze for gum removal. :devil:

It does work, so freezing the gum could do the trick. R-134a? nojk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts