Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My driver side door latch is worn out and i have to really slam it to latch it. its a automatic with a kebob locking system. if you have one please let me know. thanks guys

·
Registered
680 Posts
My driver side door latch is worn out and i have to really slam it to latch it. its a automatic with a kebob locking system. if you have one please let me know. thanks guys
A lot of the time you can just wash these out well with brake clean, close the door a few times while the brake clean is still wet to break up any further deposits, re-rinse the latch with brake clean, wait to dry, lube with liquid spray lubricant, and latch will usually be back to normal operation within a few uses. Another thing that often happens is the striker has worked its way too far towards the center of the car and needs to be adjusted, or your door hinges have bent or worn out.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
You can check for worn hinges by lifting the door as you close it. If it latches more easily, that's the culprit.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A lot of the time you can just wash these out well with brake clean, close the door a few times while the brake clean is still wet to break up any further deposits, re-rinse the latch with brake clean, wait to dry, lube with liquid spray lubricant, and latch will usually be back to normal operation within a few uses. Another thing that often happens is the striker has worked its way too far towards the center of the car and needs to be adjusted, or your door hinges have bent or worn out.
i have replaced the hinges a yr ago. there fine but i will try what you said. i have to slam the door to close it. thanks

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
91 door lock

let me know how cleaning it works, if you don't have one soon I will probably be in the yard within a month.
The cleaning helped but this morning the latch would not latch at all. i guess its shot and i drive it daily. can you help. its like a needle in a haystack. let me know soon if you can. thanks man

1 - 6 of 6 Posts