Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welcome to my first write-up! I hope people will find this useful. Let me know if there is anything I need to change.

**I'm not responsible for any damages you or your car may encounter.**

If your like me (and everyone else), you want to get rid of horrid switch and holder that comes with the replica fogs. I couldn't find a write-up or a post anywhere that clearly showed how to use the USDM switch with the replica harness. I did, however, come across two posts that helped me with this problem.

This post from Shimee and this website helped me to understand how to replica switch differs from the USDM switch.

Alright, enough talking. Time to get started!

Lets go from this ugliness....

To this beauty! :wink:

To get started, you will need a plug pigtail. I recommend getting a plug for a dimmer switch or the original USDM switch plug since they fit without modification.
I mad a mistake and got a cruise control switch. It will work, but you need to do some cutting.
**This will also work with the JDM plug. Any plug that could fit and has potential to fitting 6 wires in the plug.**

Here's how the cruise control/JDM fog switch plug looks.
**Make sure it has at least 4 wires.**

Now it's time to modify it to fit the switch. I used a rotary tool to cut the excess plastic.
(With the plug facing you, and the latch up, you need to thin out the tab on the right)

Perfect fit!!!

Now this part is completely unnecessary. I only did this because I didn't want an extra wire and I wanted the colors to match to the position they need to be in. You really only need 4 wires.

Pop the wires out.

Here's how the wires are positioned (from left to right with the plug facing you and the latch on top):
  • Empty
  • Empty
  • 12v+
  • 12v+ signal to relay
  • Ground
  • 12v+ signal to indicator light

Now crimp some terminal connectors on the wires.
(This is so you can revert to the old replica plug)
**The 12v+ to relay and 12v+ to indicator light should be crimped together.**

**Disconnect your car battery!!!**

Pop out the ugly replica switch holder.

Get to the wires of the replica plug.

Cut the wires. Be sure to leave some length left on the plug, just in case you want to revert back to the replica plug.

Now tape/cover one of the red wires (Red/Black or Red) since you only need one.
**Don't tape down the Red/Yellow wire, that is the wire leading to the relay.**

Strip and crimp on the other end of the terminal connector.

Plug in the connectors coming from the plug to the connectors on the harness. You should also tape around the connection to be sure they don't become loose.
The plugs should match up like this:
  • Red Wire -- Red Wire
  • Black Wire -- Balck Wire
  • Red/Yellow -- 2 Signal wires on plug

Connect the battery.

Plug in the USDM switch to do some testing.

It works!!!!

Finally, transfer your switches over to the 5 switch holder and set it in on the dashboard.

And you are finished!!

I hope this will help some people out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good Write up. Been installing the JDM fog lights in mine this weekend and I read your write up closely but did not read of any mention about where the 5 switch holder you used came from. My 97 Base only had the 3 switches with the pocket underneath. What did the 5 switch holder come out of? And would there be any harm in taking a USDM switch like you've got and simply replacing the dimmer wheel with it? Hell I never dim the dash lights anyways ya know. Thanks for in advance for any help or info.

·
Abscissa & Ordinate
5,101 Posts
It came with the optional fog light pack. It still might be available through Honda to purchase separately. But you cannot use the USDM switch in place of any of the upper three switches as it will not fit. You would have to source a JDM fog light switch. And then most people replace the cruise control since you can just leave it permanently on and dangle the switch behind the bezel.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good Write up. Been installing the JDM fog lights in mine this weekend and I read your write up closely but did not read of any mention about where the 5 switch holder you used came from. My 97 Base only had the 3 switches with the pocket underneath. What did the 5 switch holder come out of? And would there be any harm in taking a USDM switch like you've got and simply replacing the dimmer wheel with it? Hell I never dim the dash lights anyways ya know. Thanks for in advance for any help or info.
The 5 switch holder came with the USDM fog lights. I bought fine from a member on this forum. These are pretty hard to find now. and if it is found, cost quite a bit.

You can't just replace the dimmer switch since the wiring won't match. If you want to follow this guide, you have to get the switch holder and USDM switch.

·
Registered
59 Posts
awesome write up! I'm about to install a 5 switch holder and usdm fog switch and will need a new harness for it.

Will definitely refer to this for the wiring!

Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Fog light @ Night

USDM Stanley Foglights

Night Light Mod

Main Harness perspective is splice or tap

[White Brown] From Tap High Amp 12VDC --> A-B Harness Relay [White Gray]
(New 15 Amp Fuse)

A-B 3 Harness Relay
White Gray - From Tap 15 amp Fuse