Honda Prelude Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
NOMnomNOM
3,270 Posts
Looks like you're running bricks of heroin under there! :crazy:

Reason I went for tempered hardboard is that it's still flexible. A 1/4" of anything won't hardly even bend. If I were to choose MDF or plywood in that thickness and cut it to the shape of the carpet, I'd never get the board in nor would I get it out.

I wanted a hard panel across the entire trunk. Technically I could cut the wings shorter a little to make it easier to pull out, but it comes out fairly easily. Just have to curl it up a little. Either way, this works if you have a spare tire and have some dense foam to make some standoffs.
bahahaha, it looks like that because i have extra qts of oil, brake fluid, etc. i put them along with anything that can leak into bags (because they cant stand upright) and yes you are right! if you do use thicker panels you wont be able to remove it the way it is set up OEM. thats why i did mine the way i did, i can lift my panel up and get to the stuff underneath EXTREMELY easy (as easy as lifting it up =])

basically, if you remove your tire, i would recommend going closer to my route, because before i did this, my OEM panel was U shaped after a month! haha..but if you keep your tire, you dont need to store stuff underneath anyway, and you dont need the extra strength to keep the panel from sagging!

i will also add that i used black felt that was made from recycled plastic bottles! haha GREEN FTW! tha and its extremely cheap..

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks for this write up! My trunk board snapped it three pieces when my brother junked in my trunk..

I'm going to show this to my dad since his 200sx needs some sort of cover/tray in the trunk.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Nice write up on a piece that many times needs attention. Something just about anyone can do. Simple and cheap. My kind of repair.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts