Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Abscissa & Ordinate
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First get some tempered hardboard:

It needs to be 3/16" thick and atleast 4'x5', but Home Depot only sells 4'x8' boards. This one cost me $12.

Then place the carpet on the board.

Position it somewhere and drill holes into the board using the carpet as a template.

I used 8mm bits.

Then you clip it down and trace the shape.

Try to get all the details.

Once you cut it out you want to transfer the location of the foam standoffs.

Rough up and gouge the spots.

This is so the epoxy can grip something.

Here's the finished product.

It's a snug fit and I had to kinda jam it to get it in.

But it leaves the entire trunk floor smooth and even.

Use what you like to cut out the shape. I bought myself a $30 jig saw along with some fine-tooth saw bits made for cutting curves/shapes. Mind the fact that the carpet/tray is different in the SH than the base because of the yaw sensor in the corner near the fuel pump.

Much better option than paying $150 at the dealer for a new piece of cardboard. When I bought my car the tail lights had obviously been leaking for some time. I fixed the tail light gaskets but the trunk tray had warped from the moisture.

Even after leaving it out in the morning dew to get moist and pressing down with a bunch of weight, the trunk tray was still a little warped. This new tray I made sits on the edges of the trunk side-panels and keeps the entire floor level. Now my sub doesn't sit at an awkward angle.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
^Stop giving people shit and get to it.....you already lost the "who can make a write-up first" competition.:whatsthat:

Oh, and is this a write up for the people who have the carpet but no cardboard? Because it looks like you already have one shimee...?

I already have one, so can you make a write-up on making the little plastic jack cover that the last owner didn't give me?:mad2:

·
_
2,494 Posts
Another A+ job by Shimmee.

rated the thread excellent, cus i cant rep you again just yet. looks real sharp.

Pierce, this write up is for people who want to have a stiffer carpet base.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
can you make a write-up on making the little plastic jack cover that the last owner didn't give me?:mad2:
Salvage yard?

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
Good write up shimee. Using the original carpet to make the shape of the board is what I was taught to do to make any custom floor piece, its the best method for sure. I'm actually going to make a custom floor piece with some really nice black fabric with a CF inlay, but I have other stuff to worry about right now.lol. If the site will let me rep you again I will. good valuable contribution to the site.
Edit: it won't let me rep you again,lol. I think I'm tapped out after the mini projector write up, good one as well.

·
Abscissa & Ordinate
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm going to do the same out of ¼" plywood, but mine will be hinged from one fender to the other.
Thats actually a pretty good idea. Only drawback I see from this design is needing to make it narrow like the stock piece. Because if you dont cut the wings off and try to swing it upward, they will catch on the carpeted panels.

Oh, and is this a write up for the people who have the carpet but no cardboard? Because it looks like you already have one shimee...?

I already have one, so can you make a write-up on making the little plastic jack cover that the last owner didn't give me?:mad2:
I do still have my stock one but its warped and unusable. Ideally its for people who just have the carpet, since if you had neither it would take considerably more time and trial and error to get the exact shape.

If you really want I can easily make you one of those doors out of wood. I have some of that panel leftover and all I'd need is a lock knob off a civics door panel or something.

Good write up shimee. Using the original carpet to make the shape of the board is what I was taught to do to make any custom floor piece, its the best method for sure. I'm actually going to make a custom floor piece with some really nice black fabric with a CF inlay, but I have other stuff to worry about right now.lol. If the site will let me rep you again I will. good valuable contribution to the site.
Edit: it won't let me rep you again,lol. I think I'm tapped out after the mini projector write up, good one as well.
Much appreciated. Only praise that can be higher is if I were made mod .... what? Did I say that out loud? :wink3:

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Thats actually a pretty good idea. Only drawback I see from this design is needing to make it narrow like the stock piece. Because if you dont cut the wings off and try to swing it upward, they will catch on the carpeted panels.
I will be anticipating that.

·
RHD Pimpin
10,152 Posts
I'm going to do the same out of ¼" plywood, but mine will be hinged from one fender to the other.

Like so:

That's a much better and durable idea to use plywood

·
NOMnomNOM
3,270 Posts
go to home depot and get some MDF, but thinner sheets(like 1/4) its NOT very heavy at all and much much stronger than what you are using. if you remove your spare tire, you will still need to reinforce it, so grab 2 pieces of their aluminum L brackets (4 foot or so) 1 inch by 1 inch is enough. then cut them to size and bolt them together to make them look like a T. one will hold the back stationary panel (from sagging) and will hold the front removable/hinged panel (FYI, HINGED does not work well, so if you want access to your spare tire bay just make this panel removable, it removes easy)

of course, this is in my 4th gen. here are some crappy pics to give you an idea! =]

i will add that i did this custom, this was NOT at ALL a copt of the OEM panel. the OEM panel WILL NOT AT ALL allow for it to be removed. you have to make it smaller/thinner. (again for my 4th gen)
one more thing, everything besides the side panels are this MDF. the rest is 1/4 inch plexiglass. i used plexiglass because its not super heavy, and you can bend it and its strong enough to hold whatever i mount to it..

oh one more more more, the last pic below, this is made out of some cheap paneling i found in my garage! its not MDF but did not need to be....lmao

·
Abscissa & Ordinate
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
go to home depot and get some MDF, but thinner sheets(like 1/4) its NOT very heavy at all and much much stronger than what you are using. if you remove your spare tire, you will still need to reinforce it, so grab 2 pieces of their aluminum L brackets (4 foot or so) 1 inch by 1 inch is enough. then cut them to size and bolt them together to make them look like a T. one will hold the back stationary panel (from sagging) and will hold the front removable/hinged panel (FYI, HINGED does not work well, so if you want access to your spare tire bay just make this panel removable, it removes easy)

Looks like you're running bricks of heroin under there! :crazy:

Reason I went for tempered hardboard is that it's still flexible. A 1/4" of anything won't hardly even bend. If I were to choose MDF or plywood in that thickness and cut it to the shape of the carpet, I'd never get the board in nor would I get it out.

I wanted a hard panel across the entire trunk. Technically I could cut the wings shorter a little to make it easier to pull out, but it comes out fairly easily. Just have to curl it up a little. Either way, this works if you have a spare tire and have some dense foam to make some standoffs.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thanks a lot Shimee. My car didn't come with the carpet/cardboard piece, so I am going to do this. Where did you get those squared pieces and the bottom part of the cardboard?

·
Abscissa & Ordinate
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Those were attached to the stock trunk tray panel. I ripped them off and glued them on to the new panel. You can try a hardware store and ask if they have any high density foam.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts