Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Abscissa & Ordinate
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Begin by removing the bezel.

Now unscrew the bracket holding the radio down.

Proceed in making your 'Lude look like a theft recovery vehicle.

Locate the stock outlet and unplug it.

Unscrew the metal drum and remove the outlet.

Acquire the cigarette light socket from a 99-03 RL.

It is item #2 and costs about $50 from Acura. You can get it cheaper by going to a junkyard. Other Acura's have illuminated sockets as well.

Stock parts on the right, RL parts on the left.

Stock drum has a notch on it.

Which mates with a groove on the plastic panel.

The RL outlet also has a notch. Hmmmmmmm...

Which also fits into the groove.

The main body also sits between two nubs. Again, hmmmmm...

It's almost as if Honda intended this. :wink:

Cut off all the wires from the plugs to leave just these four.

Twist the bulb positive and outlet positive together, and crimp on a male bullet connector.

Do the same for the negatives.

And crimp on a male spade connector.

Now you can reattach the body to the outlet. Flip the securing collar around because the RL outlet further out on the Prelude.

You can have the body rotated so the bulb sits right next to the little opening (you can see it above) and shine into the outlet. This was too bright for me so I rotated the body so that the bulb would sit directly above the outlet.

Plug everything back together and put all the bezels back on.

I was lazy and wired the bulb to the 12V+ lead that goes to the outlet. This means the ring will light up when the key is turned to the ON position. I didn't feel like running a wire, let alone finding the one, so that it would come on only with the parking lights.

It's cute, isn't it?

Money shot. :hehe:

For now I yoinked the cigarette lighter from my Dad's RL because when I found this in a junkyard, it didn't come with the lighter piece. The ashtray and cig outlet is hidden behind a panel on the RL anyway and he doesnt smoke, so it's all good. :lol:

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
you beat me to it. and i went through all the trouble to get the jdm prelude one from bart. mine didnt fit right though had to hack it up to get it in right. good job shimee. i like my blue better though.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Damn that's a cool little mod :emthup:

Just curious, but wouldn't it be simple to replace the bulb with a different colored bulb? That way you could get the JDM blue, or whatever color you want to match your color theme.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
What kind of problems could you see doing this on another vehicle? Would it work?

·
Abscissa & Ordinate
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just curious, but wouldn't it be simple to replace the bulb with a different colored bulb? That way you could get the JDM blue, or whatever color you want to match your color theme.
The stock bulb that comes with the socket on the RL has a blue/green that makes the ring a pale aquamarine color. I also have blue gel caps from accords that would make it blue.

What kind of problems could you see doing this on another vehicle? Would it work?
As long as it fits there shouldnt be a problem. If there are positive and negative wires then you wont have a problem. I'm sure you'll have to trim the nub off to make it fit in other cars.

The great thing about the lighter that comes with this thing is it literally get hot in 5sec. I dont even smoke and found this entertaining.

·
RHD Pimpin
10,152 Posts
Damn that's a cool little mod :emthup:

wait wait wait, the color blue is JDM? Shiiiit, I'm glad I painted my RHD blue then :p

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
Another nice write up Shimee. I'm going to have to get one of those led cluster bulbs that suck for the LED gauge cluster conversion but I think it would be perfect for this application considering its pointing straight at the thing to illuminate. I mean I have no problem breaking out the soldering iron again to do an LED conversion to that too but if the bulb would work just as good why waste the time and effort for the same effect.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
If Kane did not ask for lighter I wouldn't even now that your "poor" stock ludes don't have such a ligthning bit :)
If someone need this part below I may ship it for a 4pack of BUD ;)

·
Abscissa & Ordinate
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another nice write up Shimee. I'm going to have to get one of those led cluster bulbs that suck for the LED gauge cluster conversion but I think it would be perfect for this application considering its pointing straight at the thing to illuminate. I mean I have no problem breaking out the soldering iron again to do an LED conversion to that too but if the bulb would work just as good why waste the time and effort for the same effect.
I have a #74 LED bulb and I knew I should have tried it out before assembling everything. But if you do this you'll need a bulb that has a forward firing LED and side firing ones. If it's just a forward LED you will get a hot spot wherever its pointed and dim output everywhere else.

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
I have a #74 LED bulb and I knew I should have tried it out before assembling everything. But if you do this you'll need a bulb that has a forward firing LED and side firing ones. If it's just a forward LED you will get a hot spot wherever its pointed and dim output everywhere else.
As soon as I posted, I thought about that. Looks like you are going to have to get a multi LED bulb now to try it out.;)

Resource thread *cough* *cough*
Done already *cough* *cough* :p

·
Registered
41 Posts
thanks for the write up! if you want the light to come on with the parking lights, you could tap into the wire that goes to the coin/ash tray.

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
thanks for the write up! if you want the light to come on with the parking lights, you could tap into the wire that goes to the coin/ash tray.
I don't think you should tap into that, reason being is that wire is only meant for one light bulb, so you would basically be doubling the load through that little wire. You could get away with it it you had LEDs in both spots because of the really small amount they pull but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing this with the normal incandescent bulbs.

I'm just overly cautious when it comes to adding stuff to circuits that weren't designed for it.

·
_
2,494 Posts
if you want a different color, it would be perfectly fine to just sharpie the bulb-condom. it'd be a light color, but it'd look good imo.

thanks for taking pics and adding this, shimm. very interesting.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Nice mod. I might try this with my civic one day.

·
Abscissa & Ordinate
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm just overly cautious when it comes to adding stuff to circuits that weren't designed for it.

All the interior lights go through the same circuit anyway. The wire for the coin pocket is 16ga. as well which is good enough for 20amps anyway, even though the circuit is fused for 10.

I was just too lazy to pull my center console and get to this wire. Besides, it made things cleaner and quicker. During the day you cant even tell that the ring is lit up anyway.

·
Registered
398 Posts
wait wait wait, the color blue is JDM? Shiiiit, I'm glad I painted my RHD blue then :p
Now your RHD is JDM-ed to the max!!! (yes JDM is now a verb) :mrgreen:

No, I was referring to Kane's reference to his JDM cigarette lighter with blue lighting. Thinking back on it now, I suppose he could have put in a blue bulb as well, but I perceived it as the JDM one coming with a blue light.

I apologize for my noobness of not knowing the color of the JDM cigarette lighter's lighted ring. :roll:

But I'm glad you painted your RHD blue as well because the color you used is hott :emthup:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts