Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fairly new around here and one thing that has stuck more than any other topic is the out and out hatred of the fifth gen auto tranny. While I'm sure I understand the need for some to look down on an auto as a strictly feminine option, that alone does not account for the sometimes savage responses for someone owning one of the demon spawn Preludes.

I've have done some reading and for the life of me, I haven't been able to find the reason in a reasonable amount of research. So ... would someone be kind enough to fill in the blanks for me?

Thanks ...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Content deleted, because, some little snowflake out there can't handle some garage talk. That, and wing9903 says they are too long to read.

·
Administrator
6,799 Posts
If you haven't repeatedly read about autotragic's and how unreliable they are... then you've read nothing more than the first few links from a Google search.

The 5th gen's slushbox was possibly one of the worst made by Honda.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
But WHY is it so terrible? Does it share the same design flaw as the more well known problem trannies, where Honda tried to make them shift more smoothly like an old school slushbox? And instead created a time bomb?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
OKay, now I'm not trying to be adversarial, but are these reasons prdeicated on first hand experience or the popular view? Mine has 180k miles and only been opened to for servicing. Since I've had it, I don't drive it with the anticipation the the next turn will be it's last. I push it very hard and have been rewarded with a fine driving experience ... hence, maybe a second or so slower than the manual, but still fun to drive hard without fear.
I may be rewarded with a tranny meltdown here soon, but that can happen with any tranny.
So far I love my new ride, chose it because of the overal condition and the exceptionally good price I got it for and can't wait to get in the car every day.
The last time I looked, that was the reason for owning such an automobile.
If that is truly wrong, especially when I don't try and push my opinions on others, then maybe someone can take this discussion a step further to help me out with my understanding.

Again thanks, cheers!!

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,272 Posts
OKay, now I'm not trying to be adversarial, but are these reasons prdeicated on first hand experience or the popular view? Mine has 180k miles and only been opened to for servicing. Since I've had it, I don't drive it with the anticipation the the next turn will be it's last. I push it very hard and have been rewarded with a fine driving experience ... hence, maybe a second or so slower than the manual, but still fun to drive hard without fear.
I may be rewarded with a tranny meltdown here soon, but that can happen with any tranny.
So far I love my new ride, chose it because of the overal condition and the exceptionally good price I got it for and can't wait to get in the car every day.
The last time I looked, that was the reason for owning such an automobile.
If that is truly wrong, especially when I don't try and push my opinions on others, then maybe someone can take this discussion a step further to help me out with my understanding.

Again thanks, cheers!!
I'm actually really glad that your car is working out for you, you're a minority success story. 95% of the people that have them are horror stories, and (like was previously said) that sends people here, crying and whining that their car is broken and they don't know what to do.

Hopefully you never have an issue, but as the past as taught most of us who have been here for a while, they all fail eventually.

As far as to "why" they're so awful, it's a mix of a lot of things. Poor heat management, awful gearing, poor clutch pack design, and a seriously watered-down experience when compared to the manual transmissions (which, in my opinion, are some of the best that Honda ever put in a passenger car). But, diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm actually really glad that your car is working out for you, you're a minority success story. 95% of the people that have them are horror stories, and (like was previously said) that sends people here, crying and whining that their car is broken and they don't know what to do.

Hopefully you never have an issue, but as the past as taught most of us who have been here for a while, they all fail eventually.

As far as to "why" they're so awful, it's a mix of a lot of things. Poor heat management, awful gearing, poor clutch pack design, and a seriously watered-down experience when compared to the manual transmissions (which, in my opinion, are some of the best that Honda ever put in a passenger car). But, diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.
That is exactly the information that I've been seeking ... thank you much. I really do appreciate the candor.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Just for fun, go onto craigslist and search for 5th gen Preludes and specify it to list Auto trans only. Open every ad you see and make a chart of the ads you look through: ads that state generally "runs perfect", and the ads that state "has some trans issues", or anything trans related.

Bet you'll have a field day with that. :sly:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts