Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone im new to the forum

Long story short i bought a 00 base with clean title,
Got 5spd swap after 2 bad transmissions then i decided to change color, half way on the stripping the car is a junk bondo from fender to fender on hood trunk roof welded rear quarter panels etc etc seems like it roll over a cliff.

I started buying parts here and there to replace the whole body till today that i came across a super clean prelude not a single dent or scratch everything stock and spotless just engine blown which is not a problem at all; ill swap mine in.

A friends buddy owns a small car dealer and repo this car from the guy for not paying and it went to auction where he end up buying it again for parts (stock exhaust system,rims) for another lude he is selling.

My friend got it from him as i pay you back later thing he needed space on the dealer and wanted out. Hes selling it to me for $800 he was gonna part out but dont want to bother.

Now would he just talk to hes friend at the dealer he said he has to register and do the paper work because it was a auction car so hes trying to see how much they are gonna charge for that and it might not be worth selling if they charge him more for paperwork or close to what im paying.

I told him i dont need it registered maybe just the title, can i just change license plates and the vin on the dash?
My car got different vins from different panels i got its almost the same.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Its illegal to swap the VIN and to change your plates to another car without transferring them to the new car at the DMV. You're talking pretty serious fines.

If you're talking about just buying the Prelude, your friend shouldn't have to do anything other than sign the title over to you and a bill of sale and the car is yours. Paying for registration, plates etc. you do once you own the car, just tow the car to your house.

·
Administrator
6,802 Posts
Highly illegal.

The car has the VIN in multiple locations - not just the dash....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response...
Just talked to my friend; the dealer guy is paying to pass the smog and get it registered for them to release the title which is great...

What grade of difficulty to swap engines?
5spd swap was okish to do it solo 2-3 days, and this would be my first engine or should i pay for it to get done?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Thanks for the response...
Just talked to my friend; the dealer guy is paying to pass the smog and get it registered for them to release the title which is great...

What grade of difficulty to swap engines?
5spd swap was okish to do it solo 2-3 days, and this would be my first engine or should i pay for it to get done?
If you have a hoist, I'd wager that doing an engine swap is about three times easier than an auto-to-manual transmission swap. (This is coming from someone who's never done an engine swap).

·
Registered
205 Posts
If you have a hoist, I'd wager that doing an engine swap is about three times easier than an auto-to-manual transmission swap. (This is coming from someone who's never done an engine swap).

And depending on OP's location, there's probably members in the area.

The car is not going to pass smog with a blown motor and should not have to have registration to have title released, either they're blowing smoke up your arse or you're not telling us something.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And depending on OP's location, there's probably members in the area.

The car is not going to pass smog with a blown motor and should not have to have registration to have title released, either they're blowing smoke up your arse or you're not telling us something.
Yes of course it wont, i ment pay to pass as in crooked, and about title release idk how that applies when car is bought from an auction no clue; the dealer guy is putting in my friends name and hes gonna transfer it to me

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was looking into buying one but to much, gonna look around to borrow 1, i was thinking might be pretty straight forward, both are base model so plug and play

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yes of course it wont, i ment pay to pass as in crooked, and about title release idk how that applies when car is bought from an auction no clue; the dealer guy is putting in my friends name and hes gonna transfer it to me
Not a good idea to be posting that on the internet. Granted there's a shop that when I was 19 passed me for inspection despite my car at the time having a bad master cylinder, I threw the guy $40 and he said PASSED don't get yourself killed, but that kind of shit will get a place to lose their license and be fined. Smog however, honestly, if you're in CA at least you don't have to smog it until you go to register it, but whatever, you're gonna do what you want.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not a good idea to be posting that on the internet. Granted there's a shop that when I was 19 passed me for inspection despite my car at the time having a bad master cylinder, I threw the guy $40 and he said PASSED don't get yourself killed, but that kind of shit will get a place to lose their license and be fined. Smog however, honestly, if you're in CA at least you don't have to smog it until you go to register it, but whatever, you're gonna do what you want.
I guess you read this wrong, hes doing it because engine is blown and tags are expired upposedly he has to get it done get the slip release dont quote me on that..
I dont have a problem doing smog check once I swap my engine into it but guy wants to do it why not save me some money and time

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I end up towing the car last night so worth it, best 800 i ever spend. I had my doubts about the guy and whole thing, but end up being good and paperwork too, just need

Since i just install a new clutch kit on my car and buying this other one im completely broke and cant seem to find or afford to buy an engine hoist.

Was reading and watch some videos how they drop it but looks barbaric dragging the engine on the floor, would a wooden dolly or something alike make it easier? How about the install from underneath? Lift the frame, postion engine and lower it?

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,274 Posts
I end up towing the car last night so worth it, best 800 i ever spend. I had my doubts about the guy and whole thing, but end up being good and paperwork too, just need

Since i just install a new clutch kit on my car and buying this other one im completely broke and cant seem to find or afford to buy an engine hoist.

Was reading and watch some videos how they drop it but looks barbaric dragging the engine on the floor, would a wooden dolly or something alike make it easier? How about the install from underneath? Lift the frame, postion engine and lower it?
You can install the engine from below; it's actually easier to do it in this fashion if you have access to a lift. But, you're still stuck with the fact that you won't be able to get the nose of the car high enough to get the engine below the bay without an engine hoist or a lift, so you're back at square one.

Installing the engine from the top isn't a ton more difficult, and is a lot safer than having the whole car dangling overhead if you don't have a lift.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You can install the engine from below; it's actually easier to do it in this fashion if you have access to a lift. But, you're still stuck with the fact that you won't be able to get the nose of the car high enough to get the engine below the bay without an engine hoist or a lift, so you're back at square one.

Installing the engine from the top isn't a ton more difficult, and is a lot safer than having the whole car dangling overhead if you don't have a lift.
Yeah thats true; im still in the hunt for one but im starting today unplugging and removing everything on the way, i am dropping this one out and installing mine from the top

1 - 20 of 23 Posts