Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Custom made of course.
this idea sprung when i was trying to think of stuff to do to my car cuz ive been pretty bored lately.
i was like, "hey! an armrest would be nice.
i could make it at my dads shop, and he could help me."
my dads been a cabinet builder for more than 20 years, hes owned his own cabinet business for almost 10 years.
he makes some of the best cabinets in northern california.
id say some of the best in the states, but i havent really been able to compare his work to people in other states, but he has gotten a few jobs with some pretty rich fuckers in vegas, so he cant be too bad..
:sigh:
anyway.. business has been slow because people are reluctant to spend gobbs of money on a new kitchen or entertainment center or fireplace mantle. other cabinet makers have been bidding ridiculously low too, just to get the job.
i think my dad might be interested in custom building a center console for not only me, but other 3rd genners if it was profitable.
i wanna show him that other people are interested so he might be a little more motivated to do it.
price would vary depending on what type of wood and finish and design, but still relitively cheap.
possibilities are endless.
i wish i had a black interior so i could have one built and stain it black.
thatd be beautiful.

and i dont think there is a minimum number of buyers required..

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
at first i was thinking, design it like the stock ones..
but then i came up with the idea to extend it out past the ebrake kinda, but still make the ebrake very accessable.
so you can have your arm resting on there as you shift or what have you.
the stock ones only act as arm rests when your leaning back.

but my dad works with all sorts of materials, it doesnt have to look like wood.
he could cover it with the same material that the interiors are made of most likely.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I think you should just do one for your car Take your time and make it real nice (not saying you wouldent) After your done post up some pictures of it so people can really see what it looks like. I think right now all anyone can think of is a block of wood sitting there lol

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol
i know, i was planning on making it for my car before selling one to anyone else..
im just kinda curious to see if anyone else would be interested, and it might motivate my dad to get mine built as well as others.

plus my car isnt somewhere where we have constant access to it to experiment with it.

·
Registered
739 Posts
My mother has a Nissan Morano and her console side forward and backward. It would be pretty cool if I had a console that would slide forward when not using the ebrake and slide it back when the ebrake is needed.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Cup holders ftmfw

·
Registered
84 Posts
id be interested. i want some kind of custom finish in my lude and you cant really find that anywhere due to our cars being so old. if you could make it in some kind of wood that is lighter then shit, then i could pretty interested. PM me with any ides you have, i have a few ideas myself that i could throw your way. :p

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Just say your ideas here. Thats part reason why he started this thread

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
if you want wood look console, i can sell you mine, its rare jdm shit from honda , but its yours if you make a decent offer, or you could trade me something small for them! i doubt id see another set, even in nz- all it is is metal cover plates with the wood effect painted on them that sticks over your stock console, stereo surround and centre air vents.

its in average condition with a couple of small scratches

Custom made of course.
this idea sprung when i was trying to think of stuff to do to my car cuz ive been pretty bored lately.
i was like, "hey! an armrest would be nice.
i could make it at my dads shop, and he could help me."
my dads been a cabinet builder for more than 20 years, hes owned his own cabinet business for almost 10 years.
he makes some of the best cabinets in northern california.
id say some of the best in the states, but i havent really been able to compare his work to people in other states, but he has gotten a few jobs with some pretty rich fuckers in vegas, so he cant be too bad..
:sigh:
anyway.. business has been slow because people are reluctant to spend gobbs of money on a new kitchen or entertainment center or fireplace mantle. other cabinet makers have been bidding ridiculously low too, just to get the job.
i think my dad might be interested in custom building a center console for not only me, but other 3rd genners if it was profitable.
i wanna show him that other people are interested so he might be a little more motivated to do it.
price would vary depending on what type of wood and finish and design, but still relitively cheap.
possibilities are endless.
i wish i had a black interior so i could have one built and stain it black.
thatd be beautiful.

and i dont think there is a minimum number of buyers required..

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
id be interested. i want some kind of custom finish in my lude and you cant really find that anywhere due to our cars being so old. if you could make it in some kind of wood that is lighter then shit, then i could pretty interested. PM me with any ides you have, i have a few ideas myself that i could throw your way. :p
yeah, voice your opinion!

if you want wood look console, i can sell you mine, its rare jdm shit from honda , but its yours if you make a decent offer, or you could trade me something small for them! i doubt id see another set, even in nz- all it is is metal cover plates with the wood effect painted on them that sticks over your stock console, stereo surround and centre air vents.

its in average condition with a couple of small scratches
why would i want a wood looking console when i could have a wood console?
lol
post some pictures of it though.
and im curious as to how the air vents hook up..

and if anyone has a center console, post pics.
i dont really remember what it looks like.
i know Pdx88lude has one..

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hey MFG if your dad coud make them out of Balsa wood they would be light so that those concerned about weight would be more likely to buy them. Im not concerned about weight but am very interested to see whats in store for his project. Put it together and lets see it.
Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i dont think balsa would come in big enough sheets.. at least not without ordering it online.
but thats another thing to take into consideration.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Balsa should be easy to work with but i dont know how big of sheets you can buy it in. you could also wrap it or do a carbon fiber overlay which would fucking rock that would be something to look into.
Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
just about anythings possible..

i just looked at a few sites and the biggest i saw was 4 inches wide but 36 long.
we could put them together, but im not sure how strong itd be cuz balsa isnt very thick.
we usually only clamp thick woods together for panels.

·
Registered
286 Posts
not thin just very light due to its not very dense but with wood glue and screws and CF overlay it should be wicked strong and weigh less than ten pounds.
Posted via Mobile

1 - 20 of 58 Posts