Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Si will not turn over, Replaced distributor cap, rotor, wires. Still nada, so next I’m doing the coil pack and plugs. Hopefully some life. Any ideas why it won’t turn over?

·
Registered
268 Posts
"Replaced distributor cap, rotor, wires. "

This has NOTHING to do with it not turning over.... Are you saying your engine will not CRANK or will not START? Hondas have virtually indestructible ignition systems. Id be checking your Computer codes to may sure you arent having a Fuel injection issue. Best of my knowledge, the lil wire coming from the finned block on the firewall supplies power to the injectors, if this is broken or disconnected engine wont start cus there is NO fuel...It may be part of the spark system, all I know is when I fixed mine, car fired right up and hasnt been an issue since. It was plugged in and looked fine, but it was cracked inside the plug causing intermittent engine shut down. I would be looking there 1st b4 I just start throwing parts @ it hoping to hit a bullseye

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Replaced distributor cap, rotor, wires. "

This has NOTHING to do with it not turning over.... Are you saying your engine will not CRANK or will not START? Hondas have virtually indestructible ignition systems. Id be checking your Computer codes to may sure you arent having a Fuel injection issue. Best of my knowledge, the lil wire coming from the finned block on the firewall supplies power to the injectors, if this is broken or disconnected engine wont start cus there is NO fuel...It may be part of the spark system, all I know is when I fixed mine, car fired right up and hasnt been an issue since. It was plugged in and looked fine, but it was cracked inside the plug causing intermittent engine shut down. I would be looking there 1st b4 I just start throwing parts @ it hoping to hit a bullseye
ok thank u I will take a look

·
Registered
268 Posts
So, you are confirming that it cranks over?

Verify there is spark going to the dizzy, check for 12 volts @ the coil "+" terminal, and if no spark going out to plugs, then its in the Dizzy guts. Cap/Rotor are just delivery mechs, they dont create the spark, they just relay it down the line.

But 1st off check your Computer Codes.

·
Registered
54 Posts
So my Si will not turn over, Replaced distributor cap, rotor, wires. Still nada, so next I’m doing the coil pack and plugs. Hopefully some life. Any ideas why it won’t turn over?
Check your batter cable clamps and posts. Sometimes corrosion can build up imperceptibly. You can get power to dash lights, brake lights, etc., but there won't be enough amps to activate the starter. Use sandpaper to clean the posts and the inside of the clamps. Good tight connection between the clamps and posts after you do that.

An auto parts store can sell you a small, cheap gizmo with wire brushes to do both the posts and the clamps.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Please answer the question, so we can avoid this bouncing around, How do u know u arent getting spark, IF ITS NOT TURNING OVER, YOU CANT CHECK SPARK!!!

This has NOTHING to do with it not turning over.... Are you saying your engine will not CRANK or will not START?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Please answer the question, so we can avoid this bouncing around, How do u know u arent getting spark, IF ITS NOT TURNING OVER, YOU CANT CHECK SPARK!!!

This has NOTHING to do with it not turning over.... Are you saying your engine will not CRANK or will not START?
Engine will not start

·
Registered
268 Posts
Thank you for confirming that, and you mentioned no spark as well. Have you verified 12 volts to the coil? This may eventually just end up @ the key switch, for my Accord also cranked but didnt start, however, I also had no dash lights, so lets just work it backwards from the dizzy and see what we get.

If you do have 12 volts to the coil, then coil is bad, if no 12 volts, then you can jump it from the battery to test if it will start. Just connect a hot wire from battery positive to coil positive, and give it a go

1 - 10 of 10 Posts