Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I crank the car up cold... it runs STRONG. It runs even better since I did a full tuneup. Wires Plugs Cap Rotor PCV Valve yada yada the whole shot. But..

As soon as the car gets warmed up it starts running funny. It bogs down until about 2k rpm sometime sand idles rough sometimes then other time it runs like a dream.

So what could get warm with the engine and cause my car to run like shit?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Throwing any codes?

·
Registered
850 Posts
where do you live? if it's always warm there try doing a coolant bypass on your EACV. it might give you an engine check light though. i tried this once and it works pretty good. but after the mani warmed up it went back to normal. so i undid it. plus i live in MN so i can't run like that all the time.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
take the egr apart, clean it out, make sure its not sticking, and put it back together and try again. 90% of the time cleaning out the egr does the trick, cuz it sometimes sticks when it gets stuffed up with some carbon deposits

·
Registered
24 Posts
i have a jdm motor and am throwing 12 and 17 also and my car runs like crap at low revs. what do you do with the egr plug on a jdm motor?

·
no mo mod
13,011 Posts
well...it only does it after it warms up...soooooo
I'd check/replace the coolant temp sensor (not the sending unit...the sensor for that the ECU uses)

then, just because it doesnt take long, I'd warm the car up and check ignition timing.

·
no mo mod
13,011 Posts
sensor...
you kinda have a point...the ECM doesnt go into closed loop til the o2 warms up.
BUT...I dont think thats the problem. you'd most likely have a code for o2 content. I cant say I've ever seen an o2 sensor fix a poorly running engine, I have seen a bad coolant temp sensor make an engine run poorly tho.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well,

I'm pleased to say that after a few cans of Octane booster and a couple tanks of fuel I've aparently run out the effects of what seems to have been some real shitty-assed gas. She runs fine now.

Which is good because I just spent a lot of money on drivetrain and suspension parts that i'm going to be putting on this weekend. My Blues are here! Yay!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts