Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I friend of mine purchased a 2000 Honda Prelude Base M/T a couple years ago. Timing belt busted on him so I got the car off him. My friend and I knew that the previous owner did a bunch of sketchy ghetto crap. Long story short, here I am taking apart the engine bay and I come across these connectors/splices.

This red wire splices off the fuel injector wire and went into the firewall.

This black wire splices into this connector just behind the battery area, and there is a blue wire cut and just there. The black wire also goes into the firewall.

Just next to that connector was this connector that was unused, wrapped in electrical tape, covering up this resistor just placed inside.

Next, there is this connector that was just sitting unused beside the two relays just behind the windshield washer fill neck. (Windshield washer fluid fill neck is removed in phoyo

If anyone could please help me as to where this connector belongs and/or what it is connected into, I would be sincerely appreciative. Also if anyone could please please tell me what in the world those ridiculous splices are for. I can’t think of any aftermarket sensors needing to splice into those wires. The car didn’t have any aftermarket sensors/gauges, and ran decent. The only splice that made sense and I didn’t show was the VTEC solenoid splice, as the previous owner installed a light in the gauge cluster to illuminate when the VTEC system is engaged.

I will be taking apart the dash to discover where those strange splices are going, but in the meantime, thought some of you could help me out.

If you could at least look at where those connectors are in your car and post a picture of where they go or what they connect to, that would be amazing.

If anyone knows of any wiring diagram I can analyze that shows these wiring routes, I would appreciate it.

Thank you and I hope to hear back fro someone

·
Administrator
6,589 Posts
I would as you mentioned, trace the two spliced wires into the cabin and see exactly where they are going. My thoughts - someone was attempting (or succeeded) to bypass the immobilizer or part of the ignition system. The black and white wire goes to the starter.

The cut blue wire is likely the tachometer wire, it usually is in a single connector that goes nowhere.

The connector with the resistor is likely from the old factory intake - most just leave it taped up unused when changing over to an aftermarket system. Seeing as there is the remains of an AEM intake rubber mount in the photo, i'd say this car is no longer running a factory intake.

The plug next to the two relays was an accessory harness that was installed from the factory. I'm a little foggy - but I'm pretty sure it was for the optional Honda alarm. This too is typically taped up and just hanging around, going nowhere.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, thank you so much sir!

I really appreciate the detailed and swift response.

In university so will post pics and give more information about where the wires are going, soon as I have time.

Hmm oh ok starter wire, going inside, it must either be what you said or the guy rigged up some kind of remote starter.

Tachometer wire? Hmm the tach was working, or do you mean just an extra wire of sorts, also having the tachometer signal?

Makes sense, the car did indeed have the aem intake installed. What purpose did that sensor serve in the stock car, out of curiosity? Resistor must be there to imitate the sensors resistance, so the car doesn’t throw a CEL? Either way I’ll leave it alone since it didn’t cause issues, just maybe do it a bit more professionally.

Ah I see, thanks again for allowing me to keep some hairs on my head. Was driving me crazy trying to figure out what it was for, the connector beside the relays.

I still don’t have any good ideas as to why someone would splice into the fuel injector positive wire. I can only think of some kind of protection against theft, that the car would only run on 3 cylinders or something lol.

But yeah I’ll be taking apart the dash soon and finding out what goodies await me

·
Administrator
6,589 Posts
The tach wire is just a spare that goes to the back of the cluster if traced. Basically there for troubleshooting reasons vs needing to remove the cluster. Honda thought ahead on that one.

No, the wire with the resistor would not cause a CEL. I honestly forget its exact role within the extensive stock system, but nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah I see. Thanks again guys for all the help!

Will be taking the dash apart soon to confirm and also find out about that mysterious fuel injector splice.:unsure:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts