Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wiper blades stopped working the other weekend. Stupid motor arm d/ced from the arms that move the wipers (the main, and probably only rod) when I was trying to get some snow off my window.

[ Old Flooding Pictures Have Been moved]
(This is THE main road to get into town from my house. We kinda got a bit too much rain, and a creek turned into that. My house is not anywhere in any of those pictures luckily, and neither is my car)

I wont have to go to school! :Rock: Which frees up my time considerably. So, I was gonna fix this, and probably do a write up if anybody wants one. Anybody interested? It would have pictures too! I kind of take a lot. Chances are I could also take pictures for a stereo install (got me a harness!), and CB/Scanner installation too (Power wires anyways).

And another random question. Anybody with a lowered prelude having problems with the rain? Seeing this stuff really makes me want to hurry up and put a snorkel and bilge pump in my car. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
4,918 Posts
Buy a truck, that's what I'll be driving to work tomorrow morning if the Puyallup River didn't party out the Toyota dealership across River Road, lol.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got a prelude, and that's what I'm stuck with. That, and I really don't want a truck. And I wouldn't fish in the waters. There's kind of a large sewage pond that overflows ever year... Those houses probably got a nice dose of it too.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Test your motor too using online shopmanual. I assume they have a test never looked it up. Might be able to remove the motor and reatach. Otherwise you will have to remove the lower front windsheild trim. It has about 8 white plastic clips underneath it that have arms on it like a texas longhorn. It may also have black adhesive holding it down. I had my winsheild replaced like 2 years ago and there was black adhesive under it on the sides or ends. I used an electric heat paint stripper gun to heat up any glue underneath it as a precausion. Dont pry to hard on it as you may crack your winsheild. This lower trim actually slides in underneath the winsheild side trim. I got mine out with out removing the sides but best I can tell the sides are just held on by screws. Once it is off and you have taken off the windshield wiper arms you can focus on the cowl cover that is black plastic and is horizontally placed infront of the windsheild. It has metal screws close to the bottom of the windsheild, maybe six of em. It also has expanding clips with plastic screws that push them out and hold them down forcing them into kind of a star patern under the panel. There are two on each side and if you lift up the rubber seal at the front of this panel that helps keep water out of the engine bay there are like 10 or 12 more. I didn't want to pay the exorbant dealer price even online price for these especially after buying 8 new texas longhorn clips at about $4 each. I went to my local westlake ace hardware and they had some that would work that were a lot cheaper in plastic shallow parts trays boxes. While your in there clean out all the leaves and dirt and if you have any kind of furball rats nest on the passenger side sitting ontop of the white plastic panel that has a plastic mesh screen for intake into the cabin for your inside fan box be sure to remove that as that is the only way to get it clean. Other than that you have 4 drain holes for water on the top of your cowl at the four corners make sure they are clear of mud and leaves so it drains good and doesn't rust out due to sitting water and dirt.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Test your motor too using online shopmanual. I assume they have a test never looked it up. Might be able to remove the motor and reatach. Otherwise you will have to remove the lower front windsheild trim. It has about 8 white plastic clips underneath it that have arms on it like a texas longhorn. It may also have black adhesive holding it down. I had my winsheild replaced like 2 years ago and there was black adhesive under it on the sides or ends. I used an electric heat paint stripper gun to heat up any glue underneath it as a precausion. Dont pry to hard on it as you may crack your winsheild.
I know the motor works, I watched the arm thingy move when I had the wipers going. And now I can watch it move, and hear it. It works, so I don't have to worry about that. My window is already cracked, so I really am not going to worry too much about that. I'm pretty bad when it comes to following instructions without diagrams, unless it's like ''unscrew the only screw on this side..'' or something like that. I know what's wrong with the wipers, I just was curious to know if anybody wanted a guide, which i'll probably just make anyhow, at least how to take everything off for those of us who dont have / cant afford Chiton (whatever) repair guide.

Since school got closed, I'll see how far I can get on it tomorrow. I'll take pictures, and do a writeup on here. Or in Instructables. I did a valve cover painting writeup on there, I don't think that went too badly ( Link is down for now, will post when the site is back up). I'll see how far I can get without spending any money. Not like I can get into town either. That bridge, I guess isnt there anymore.:sadlike:

And what the heck does FTMFW mean?

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Lower windsheild trim panel #1, side panels on either side:

#8 black plastic cowl cover, #16 front rubber seal for engine bay that hides 10 to 12 push in clips holding down cowl cover, #9 white plastic panel with black plastic mesh for interior fan port. Found on passenger side under cowl cover.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I feel like I'm beating a dead horse with a dead stick, but here goes.

Kudos to Honda. They make some durable stuff :-D
The plastic ball cap covers on the wiper arm lasted 20 years. Through heat, hail, snow, rain, wind, and who knows what else. 2/3 Went 20 years. And now I want them off my car. Not because they're old, but because I don't want to have to take my hood off each winter. I'm not putting up with that. I'm thinking, since it's supposed to be permanent already, why not weld it on?
(For those who don't know what I'm talking about here's a picture)

This is what it is now:

I'm thinking about doing something along these lines.

I'm tempted to go outside and solder it. I don't like the concept of a hood that isn't locked down. I could also weld a washer on there, and that could have the same effect. It would just be a permanent fix.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welded!

Well, My buddy got his MIG welder going, and he was helpful enough to weld on a washer. I'm sorry for the crappy pictures, my camera died earlier that night, and I put it back together before I could Charge them, And my phone sucks. So here are pictures:

After a coat of plain black paint (to help deter rust)

And on an unrelated note, here's pictures of the valve cover paintjob I did a while ago. I'm gonna have to update it after I do the metallic orange flake. For everyone who is cringing that I welded that, and the weld looks like crud, At least I wont have to worry about that cap popping off again. Ever. And it's small enough that if I have to take it off, a little dremel work, and it'll be gone. First post with my new sig too! *needs to resize it probably*

·
Registered
196 Posts
Sigh. This just happened to me, and I'm out of town and have a 250mi interstate drive home tomorrow. Looks like one of the previous owners used a zip tie to somehow hold it down as I can't find the plastic dust seal thing anywhere, but there is a a zip tie sitting there all flopping around. Guess I'll be going that route until I can get home, although the washer welding idea is sounding rather appealing right about now.

·
Registered
196 Posts
For those keeping score at home, it was a 500mi trip and the linkage arm end by the motor actually broke. So, I'm going to order a new one and new plastic caps. (I broke the one on the motor end when I tried to put it back on, doh!) I did make it home safely, even tho my ghetto fake fix failed on the way home. Doesn't look like I will have to take the black plastic cowl all the way off to swap it out either, so no worries about the windshield here.

Looks like I'll need parts 8 and 11.

76524-SD4-003 List: 3.47 Qty 2
76540-SF1-A02 List: 25.80 Qty 1

A previous owner of my lude apparently decided a zip tie was good enough and no cap at all was required. (I'm kinda surprised the wipers have worked as well as they have for almost a year now, now that all this has come to light.)

gtkid2002: How many times has yours popped out of place that you felt a welder was the answer? Had this happen for a couple of winters now? Am I throwing my $3.50 or $7 away on plastic caps?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, It happened to me just once. I'm just not very patient, and I could see visible cracks in the plastic cap. I welded it because it's a permanent fix, and I know I'm not going to have to worry about that one again. I didn't do the other two though, but if I get some time this summer, I'm planning on welding the other.

It's really up to you if you feel like you're throwing the money away. If they last for another even ten years, I'd say it was worth it. Because I welded it however, If the paint I put on it doesn't hold up, I'm going to have rust issues. But that can be fixed easily enough with a wire brush and a can of Rustoleum. I think it's kind of surprising too that a zip tie held up for that long. I'm gonna be Rain-Xing my car just so I don't have to use the wipers as much though. Glad you made it home safe too~ Rain driving with no wipers sucks really bad. Although I think crappy wiper blades might be worse than none at all.

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
its not a bolt. its a ball and socket design. the ball just sits there, and there is a plastic socket that fits the rod and snaps over the ball. if you take it apart, it will probably break. at least mine did when i was parting my other lude.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
well that sucks, because the bar that connects the motor to the wiper, (passenger side) came off, and i can't get it on there, atleast can't get it to stay on there....

any idea's on how to reconnect them???

i went to the junkyard and got the caps that fit right in there, but they pop right off... if i had access to as welder then thats what i would do....

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts