Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im buying a whole lot of crap to build my prelude,H23. im getting a golden eagle pistons & rods, getting it sleeved, camshafts,cam gears,crank pulley, light weight flywheel,stage 3 clutch, 1000cc injectors, dual spring valve kit, 68mm throtlebody and skuck2 intake manifold, ecu redone, fully tunned. and i am planning to run 16-18psi as a daily driver! what do you guys think, will my motor handle it???

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
im gonna say that in the long run.........no.

·
Registered
317 Posts
It could with careful tuning and good gas, once the motor is built its just about the tuning, just be carefull about it. But your going to have pay attention to your motor cuz something could go from bad to worse fast with that much boost and your going to have to perform mantinence more often. No cutting corners when your doing that kind of boost.

·
Registered
435 Posts
i would say that with a built motor that is tuned properly, 16-18psi is not unreasonable...

·
Registered
317 Posts
i agree but for daily driving 7-10 is probably better, just cuz of gas and if you have to do alot of stop and go driving it'll be a little easier to drive, then you can turn it up incase you need to teach a mustang or ricer civic a lesson lol or when you go to the track or road course (which ever you do)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
tonybaker runs more than 22psi as a daily driver, so i dont see why you cant- as long as you build the engine up and get it tuned well.

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
1000cc injectors will be nearly impossible to tune for idle, you'd be much better off running smaller ones, or better yet a staged injector system, some 350's for off boost, then kick in a set of 750's for boost.

If it's tuned well, and put together well using quality parts, 18psi will work fine.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
so the bottom line is......do what you want, just get it well tuned.

·
Registered
978 Posts
You're getting a boost controller right? Just turn it down when you are commuting to wherever it is that you go.

Also.. I noticed its an H23, and I have a similar question -- is it really necessary to sleeve the block on an H23? (Due to lower compression and all) I plan to run 7-9psi daily and 16-18 on track days/weekends/nights.

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
The compression is only .2:1 lower, not enough to affect a damn thing.

You have to sleave it because it has FRM liners, which are quickly (like, five minutes) destroyed by 99.9% of the forged pistons out there, and the stock pistons can't take high boost.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Bah.. so basically I have to shell out $1k for somebody to put in sleeves for me?

Awesome.

Max psi for the stock block is like 7-9 anyway, right?

M

·
0 Posts
the motor will more than handle this amount of boost. I ran mine for over a year with 18psi without issues. it's all in tuning and maint. for an example look at the evo and sti, these run high boost. one thing though, you may want to look into a better clutch.

·
Registered
978 Posts
18 psi without sleeves? Or.. what? I'm pretty sure it can handle 7-9.. maybe I can squeek by with 12 on good tuning, but 18? What did you use?

Sorry it took me so long to respond.. didn't notice the reply!

Oh, and.. yeah, I would upgrade the clutch, but it's an auto. I guess all I can do is get a beefier torque converter..?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts