Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
It depends if the bigger wheels weigh more. Which is typical, but not necessarily the case.

·
Registered
978 Posts
If it weighs more, as the consesus says, yes, but if it's light weight, no -- more wheel travel.

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
well, the 19's on my 350z slowed my car down drastically.. and they were lighter than the stock rims/tires.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Boosted521 said:
well, the 19's on my 350z slowed my car down drastically.. and they were lighter than the stock rims/tires.

why would you put 19's on a Z?

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
Antonious said:
why would you put 19's on a Z?
because it looked damn good.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
its proven that if you ran the same car on 17s and 18s it would be faster on the 17s because the larger rims have more rolling mass....that part of the reason why slicks go on a smaller rim along with compensating room for the slick.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Attaus said:
If it weighs more, as the consesus says, yes, but if it's light weight, no -- more wheel travel.
what do you mean by wheel travel?

and like boosted said, lighter doesnt mean as much if it's that much further from the center of the rim. Picture the little spinning tire swing thing at the park whne you were a kid. Lead out and you go way slower right? but tuck that same weight in more and you go faster. Same principle.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
CruZin89LuDe said:
what do you mean by wheel travel?

and like boosted said, lighter doesnt mean as much if it's that much further from the center of the rim. Picture the little spinning tire swing thing at the park whne you were a kid. Lead out and you go way slower right? but tuck that same weight in more and you go faster. Same principle.
agreed

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thats why any car with a true track setup will use 14 inch wheels with a lot of rubber instead of 17-18 inch wheels with a little bit of rubber...It's either show or go.

·
2ludes 1s2000
10,675 Posts

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
If the overall diameter of the larger wheel and tire is more it will hurt acceleration.

If the larger wheel and tire combo is heavier than stock it will hurt acceleration

If the width of the larger wheel's tire is greater than stock it will hurt gas mileage.

If the offset differs from stock much it will effect handling/response

- JL

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
18's are too large for a prelude if you are in any way concerned with performance. kthxby.

·
Kickass truck missed
6,583 Posts
kpkicker16 said:
The bigger the wheel, the better the handling right?
thats a misleading way of saying it.

the shorter the side wall, the stiffer the tire is, so the firmer it feels in corners.

less sidewall = less sidewall flex= more responsive handling

·
REST IN PEACE
16,451 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts