Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What I have is a Jdm type s swapped in 98 base with a few bolt on mods. I recently purchased the jrsc kit and would like to know if anyone have try the AEM FIC piggy back system on their FI car? Based on what I've search it seem to work much better than the e-manage from the people that have tried it.
Type s have a cr of 11:1 and not much pp recommended for boost. My question is if I only boost 6lbs. max, should it be ok and still reliable?

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
use the ems. youll be ok on that compression but id suggest maybe a slightly thicker headgasket at least for now, then if you build the block you can throw in some forged pistons and raise the boost. good luck

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
The AEM FIC was what I was going to do, but it was a recent edition to their lineup, and I could not find an adapter harness at the time. I didn't feel like bastardizing my harness anymore than it already is. Anyways I believe that you can get a jumper harness from rywire or boomslag. I'd recommend that. Do you plan on keeping the FMU or upgrading your injectors? I also believe alot of people have not had much sucess with the Emanage blue, but Ultimate seems to be another story. If you do use the AEM FIC keep us informed I am very interested. I have been tuned with nothing other than the suplied JR computer, and a VAFC2 (ppl call this the "band-aid") for three years and I haven't had a problem, but I feel that my fuel system is at about it's limit.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
the aem ems is a total waste of money, dont even bother.
the aem FIC is a great system though, but i definitely would not say it is better than the emanage ultimate. the ultimate is still the king of piggybacks.

the only problem with the aem fic is it only allows ignition retard, it does not allow ignition advance. which makes it good for boost, but not as good for all-motor.
yes the FIC would work great with the jrsc, as long as whoever tunes it knows how to use the FIC.

boomslang does not have a listing for the fic yet for use with obd2a hondas, but maybe they just haven't updated the site with it yet. i'm messaging them right now to inquire about it...

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
just heard back from boomslang, this is what they had to say:

The FIC doesn’t work with the 92-00 Hondas, fully.

When AEM fixes the problems, we’ll offer a harness.

Thanks.

Regards,
Rustin

Boomslang Fabrication

·
bangin' gears
15,676 Posts
i know a certain someone who used to do coding for PGMFI that believes the AEM FIC has more potential than the emanage.

never used either, but i will go with that.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I thought it would be a good way to get rid of the JR computer, and tune the fuel and ignition for boost, it's almost like a user adjustable version of the JR piggyback. I'm sure there are more comprehensive and maybe even cheaper ways to tune?? That's assuming that you are paying $465 as listed on aempower.com.
I just meant that you could use a harness extension from boomslang, but that would be even better if they offered a plug and play jumper for it! I don't know anybody that has used the FIC.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
i know a certain someone who used to do coding for PGMFI that believes the AEM FIC has more potential than the emanage.

never used either, but i will go with that.
lol i know exactly who you're talking about. im curious as to why he thinks that though, considering the fic can't advance timing, can only retard it.

I thought it would be a good way to get rid of the JR computer, and tune the fuel and ignition for boost, it's almost like a user adjustable version of the JR piggyback. I'm sure there are more comprehensive and maybe even cheaper ways to tune?? That's assuming that you are paying $465 as listed on aempower.com.
I just meant that you could use a harness extension from boomslang, but that would be even better if they offered a plug and play jumper for it! I don't know anybody that has used the FIC.
if you're willing to convert to obd1, it'd be cheaper just to get a conversion harness and chipped ecu

·
Registered
750 Posts
the aem ems is a total waste of money, dont even bother.
As in AEM's stand alone? I would be curious why it is you think the EMS is such a bad tuning platform, I have seen several folks have very good results with it, the only downside I have seen is simply expense but it offers everything that S300 does (from what I have seen) and better integration... (with other third party widgets wb02's boost controllers etc etc)

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
As in AEM's stand alone? I would be curious why it is you think the EMS is such a bad tuning platform, I have seen several folks have very good results with it, the only downside I have seen is simply expense but it offers everything that S300 does (from what I have seen) and better integration... (with other third party widgets wb02's boost controllers etc etc)
i dont think its a bad tuning platform at all. in the hands of the right tuner, it's amazing. but its a total waste of money. the system alone is over a grand, and to tune it properly you're looking at tuning costs more than double, sometimes as much as 5 times the cost of tuning an actual honda system that can do anything and everything aem ems can do.
but thats also only in the hands of the right tuner. there are very very few decent tuners for the aem ems. no matter how much money is spent on the system and having it tuned, its worthless if the tuner doesnt know very very well how to use the system and set it properly

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for everyone inputs. I'll install and run with JR components for now until I decide my set up.
shocker5thgen: Are you currently running with stock fuel system? what size pulley?

·
bangin' gears
15,676 Posts
i dont think its a bad tuning platform at all. in the hands of the right tuner, it's amazing. but its a total waste of money. the system alone is over a grand, and to tune it properly you're looking at tuning costs more than double, sometimes as much as 5 times the cost of tuning an actual honda system that can do anything and everything aem ems can do.
but thats also only in the hands of the right tuner. there are very very few decent tuners for the aem ems. no matter how much money is spent on the system and having it tuned, its worthless if the tuner doesnt know very very well how to use the system and set it properly
i agree, however, if you find a tuner who can use it correctly then it will blow any honda based system out of the water just because it is its OWN system. There is no code other than AEM.

·
Registered
750 Posts
So your qualm isn't that the aem EMS is a bad product, but basically there aren't enough of the "good" tuners to use it to it's potential. As for comparing it to S300 the cost of the hondata/neptune/ectune etc etc, it might be a little more reasonable to compare AEM EMS to S300 + "New" ECU, which I am sure isn't cheap from the stealership (I woudl expect it to be ~$600-$700) because if you think about it with EMS you aren't just getting the software, you are also buying brand new hardware too. While I don't disagree that EMS is expensive, I don't think it's all that fair to chastise it because of what it costs. Also it does offer more features then S300 (not sure about neptune) but very few people who buy it even tap into it's additional capabilities ...

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Thanks for everyone inputs. I'll install and run with JR components for now until I decide my set up.
shocker5thgen: Are you currently running with stock fuel system? what size pulley?
I'm running the ENDYN 9psi pulley that's why I am upgrading my fuel system. The J/R setup and some minor tuning with my vafc2 has worked for me so far, but I want to get all the E-manage ult. stuff worked out to use as a base map before I build my motor.
Until I tuned my car it kind of ran like trash. I mean it went good but was nowhere near as smooth as it is now. Tuning the fuel and timing did wonders for the generic J/R tune that the "black box" uses. Now it's time to go to the next level!
You have the rite idea when you plan to tune. Worth every penny, and I am sure I would not be the only one to tell you that.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
I'm running the ENDYN 9psi pulley that's why I am upgrading my fuel system. The J/R setup and some minor tuning with my vafc2 has worked for me so far, but I want to get all the E-manage ult. stuff worked out to use as a base map before I build my motor.
Until I tuned my car it kind of ran like trash. I mean it went good but was nowhere near as smooth as it is now. Tuning the fuel and timing did wonders for the generic J/R tune that the "black box" uses. Now it's time to go to the next level!
You have the rite idea when you plan to tune. Worth every penny, and I am sure I would not be the only one to tell you that.
i can sell you the tune i did on plague's 5g with the 9psi pulley on his jrsc with emanage ultimate. i installed rc injectors that i think were 440cc iirc, i'd have to check my laptop. but all you should need to do if you use anything different for injectors is change the actual injector size and latency settings. pm me if interested

1 - 15 of 15 Posts