Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend is selling me a civic eg springs very cheap and just want to know, will it fit on my 89-91 prelude ex? Im just a student and dun have a lot of cash so cant aford to buy new springs and dun wan to cut my springs some say it can b dangerous, I forgot the name of the spring but the web site say it the top manufacture of spring in europe, the name starts with 'J......'

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How low can your coil over get? I dont have the $ for trail and error, selling the springs is the hard part no one wants to buy them

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Are they stock springs? If so, then they'll be soft and short... Might as well cut your stock prelude springs.

·
Registered
110 Posts
the stock civic springs will lower the car about 1 1/2 inches if they are lowering spings add that into it and you'll get how low the car will sit. personal i like doing this cuz you dont get the stiff ass ride of prelude lowing springs

·
Registered
288 Posts
prelude11 said:
the stock civic springs will lower the car about 1 1/2 inches if they are lowering spings add that into it and you'll get how low the car will sit. personal i like doing this cuz you dont get the stiff ass ride of prelude lowing springs
I was just about to enter that. Being that our preludes are a few hundred pounds heavier. For a stiff ride, our spring rate needs to be higher. Installing Civic EG or even EK springs on our cars would give it a phenominal drop but the spring rate wouldnt be stiff enough to compensate. This would kill your shocks almost immediately because you would be constantly surpassing your bump stop. And you would be bottoming out on bad roads and sudden changes in elevation.

My advice is to do a little more research on the springs. Try to find out their spring rate and how much lower from factory ride height they are. You wouldnt want a punctured oil pan!

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
...It's a bad idea to begin with. Don't flirt with a bad idea, stay safe, like you said you don't have a lot of money so try not to get yourself into some silly situation by putting on critical parts that weren't even made for our cars. Is stock height really that detrimental to your social life? lol...ok i'm done now, just my two cents.

·
Premium Member
16,906 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Well, you did it and you didn't crash, so okay. But that still doesn't mean it's not a bad idea. Maybe the import community (mostly us, the unprofessionals trading info back and forth) might see this as not such a big deal, but take this same inquire to eng-tips forum where there are people who study the science of automotive physics and they will give anybody a plethora of reasons that would convince anybody with ears to not only not do it, but also RUN from the idea.

In the back of our minds we know this...and yeah we all get away with doing spring swaps and such, but this guy just wants his car to look nice, and I dont think having a daily driver with mismatched springs is going to be worth it at all. Would it not be a better idea to wait and buy a $150-200 set of springs that are actually new and made for the BA4?

These (sport?) EG springs are shorter, so they will ride at least 2.5" lower than stock. Now that is your sitting stance, very very low. Now realize the probable spring rate, it's going to be lower than what our preludes require. Consider the fact that he is obviously on a very tight budget right now, what kind of struts are on the prelude right now or what struts are going to be installed with these springs? Would you be surprised if they were OEM-style struts that already have some miles on them? How would they work with these springs with the spring height nil and the rate probably too low for the prelude? That is why I don't think it's a smart move to do this, especially under the financial circumstances.

So I played the safety-retard tonight, oh well. I feel I must.

·
Premium Member
16,906 Posts
Well let me add some input..... When I installed them on the DA I didn't know they were for a EG... My cousin gave em to me... The car dopped 2.5" but like I said it was way toooo soft. For a daily driver it was fine. Once I started driving the car hard I would hit the bump stops and that isn't safe. If I were on a course racing with a soft setup like that I know definitley my wheels would leave the pavement and that again isn't safe.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4 Posts
just wondering if anyone has pictures of there car with DA integra springs. I have some and plan on installing soon.

Thanks
Josh

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
team123luder said:
Well car boy it isn't really that bad of an idea. I used to have EG springs on my DA teggy and it never hurt anything.... Drove it around for about a year or so.. the ride was way tooooo soft and I would always hit the bump stops though. So I got skunk coilovers made for the car.
that says it all though really.
They were crap on a Teg yet the Teg design and weight is very similar to the Civic.
The Lude is nothing like.

Just get springs designed for the job or don't bother.
Do you really want to ruin the ride (and possibly parts) of your Lude just to lower it a bit?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts