Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

First off, I have tried to search and could not find a good thread explaining my situation other then a 3rd gen thread which is probably a little different from our 5th gen's.

My shifter feels loose and moves freely....like when I am in any gear or neutral my shifter can move left to right slightly. It is not really bad as I can shift into all gears smoothly but I am just really picky about my car. Anyone know a thread or could anyone let me know how to fix this problem.

Isn't there some kind of bushings or joints I could replace to fix this? I wanted to get advice from you guys/girls first pror to opening up my senter console.

Thanks

-Mike :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have never taken apart a lude shifter but in other vehicles i have had there are usually bushings down there.In my stealth i had urethane bushings that i popped in. I would go to a dealer and just see if you can order new bushings and replace them. The movement shouldnt effect driving though.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, thanks for your input. I know there are usually bushings but I didn't know if there was a write-up or anyone that experienced this before. Thanks again for your input. Im gonna try the dealer.

Update:
It actually has play all around(up, down, left, and right). Haven't drove another prelude so I am not sure if this is even normal.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
yeah, thanks for your input. I know there are usually bushings but I didn't know if there was a write-up or anyone that experienced this before. Thanks again for your input. Im gonna try the dealer.

Update:
It actually has play all around(up, down, left, and right). Haven't drove another prelude so I am not sure if this is even normal.
not normal

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh man....if anyone could let me know if they had experienced this before. Thanks

-Mike

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
oh man....if anyone could let me know if they had experienced this before. Thanks

-Mike
my brothers 2000 civic after i helped him with his manual swap.
he doesn't have shift cables like preludes though. was told its bushings in the tranny/shift linkage. have yet to change the bushings so his shifter can move left to right as far as his center console will allow him:baa:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
haha ok cool. I hope I have bushings that are worn out then. Thanks

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
prelude is cable shift civic is shift linkage they are way diff. civic ones wear out quite quick because they are exposed to the elements under your car. try looking here

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/PartsSearch.jsp

bring up the OEM diagram for the shifter assembly and that can point you in the rite direction as to which bushings to replace first.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
shifter is suppose to have some free play while in neutral. Completely normal. However in gear. It should be pretty secure. So idk what's the deal with that. It's always something isnt it? Darn cars.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tell me about it.....5 months on trying to do a swap on my supra and still no go...

·
Registered
949 Posts
Every manual car that I've been in has a little play while in its in gear. In mine, I can rattle it while in gear from side to side. I can pull back and feel the vibrations of the gears and pull it out of gear if I pull hard enough. I think its completely normal.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh okay thanks for your input. anyway to make it so there is no play. reason why is becuz I drove a customers nissan 200sx and they had a short shifter but the shifter felt really tight(no movement) and it felt good. my supra is the same. tight shifter box with no play. but maybe honda's are a lil different.
Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
215 Posts
Mine wiggles just a bit in gear but what you are saying sounds like its a bit more than wiggling. Are the cables tight? I'd either go to the manufacturer or just pull the center console up and take a look yourself doesn't take but a few minutes

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess that's how u can put it. mine wiggles. I guess its normal then. hah.
Posted via Mobile

1 - 14 of 14 Posts