Honda Prelude Forum banner

x_y_of_z_posts

·
Registered
x_posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 86 has recently been smelling strongly of gas. As soon as I start it, it smells real bad and it never seems to go away. Does anyone have any idea of what this could be?

·
Registered
x_posts
a leak possibly, and have you even bothered looking around the car to see where it could be coming from?:Rock:

·
Registered
x_posts
Huh, well what-the-hell could it be?!

Does it smell outside or is it when your in the car? You know like maybe throught the vents? Do you get unusually low gas mileage? Does it stay after the car is off, if it does go away; after how long? Is it stronger in some areas?

Hope you figure it out, it'll be interesting to see what it is.

·
Registered
x_posts
Gas?

Could be leaking at the filter banjo fittings.
Could be gas tank leaking.
Could be the charcoal cannister... do these things have one of those?

Raise the hood and look around for something leaking out there.
There are no fuel fittings INSIDE the car that I'm aware of so it's got to be outside somewhere.

·
Registered
x_posts
Discussion Starter #9
It smells both inside and outside the car. As for the gas mileage, I think that it could get better. A while back, I smelled it very little when I started the car, but over time, it seemed to get worse.

·
Registered
x_posts
It Sounds like a leak somewhere.
Does any fuel drip sown under the car?
I believe Preludes have an evaporative charcoal container but I don't know where it is.
Maybe I can check my service manual or somebody else can give the location of the cannister. It may be overflowing with raw gas.

Otherwise you are going to need to trace out the fuel supply AND return lines and examine all the fittings for leaks.
Gasoline vapor is HIGHLY explosive. Probably not a problem while you're driving but after the car sits for awhile and the fumes have a chance to accumalate it could be a little dangerous.
I'd put some major effort into finding that leak.

The fuel filter is mounted behind the engine on the firewall. Check there for leaks. Look under stuff to see if you can find s drop of accumalated gas then trace it from there.
Does it do it MORE or LESS when the tanks full?
Does it do it MORE or LESS after sitting for a day or so? More or less just after you drive it?
A line could have a hole in it. SOmethings causing the gasoline smell.
Seek and you shall find it.

·
Registered
x_posts
check along the fuel rail and stang there and rev it from under the hood so if it is leaking from anywhere you might be able to see it when it revs and pushes more fuel. the charcoal canister on 4th gens is on the firewall behind the intake manifold and alittle to the passenger side but i dont know if its in the same place on your car. i would say that it might be the O rings on an injector and it might not be getting all the fuel into the motor.

·
Registered
x_posts
Fuel injector seals. Check 'em if you haven't yet. I had the same issue with the gas smell and they were all shot and, after replacement, the smell diminished.
?e

·
Registered
x_posts
The fuel pressure is constant on the type of fuel injection systems we have.
It's held to around 40PSI by the fuel pressure regulator.
The excess fuel that is pumped to the regulator goes back to the tank thru the fuel return line.
Fuel volume to the individual cylinders is controlled by the injector on time which is controlled by the processor in the ECU.

The injector seals are a pretty good bet. You normally can see the fuel stains around them if they are leaking.
This is an easy fix and inexpensive. The complete set should be only a couple dollars. The fuel rail will have to come off but it's not hard to do.
Put some petroleum grease on the seals to help get them to seat. Don't use engine oil on the seals as some rubber seals don't like some of the 'stuff' in oil.

It may not be the seals, however. So use your detective skills and find out where that leak is.

·
Registered
x_posts
probaly ur battry or oil burning something up

·
DCOE45Z
x_posts
no no no no no haha. i have the same problem in my SI, just stinks!!!

i only notice it in the cold cuz you can see where its coming from but I'd bet money on it to be an exhaust leak, mines leaking from the header, flex pipe, cat and the muffler haha. It doesn't stink unless the sunroof is open or driving it hard.

when its cold out one night have a buddy look under the car and start revving it up, if thats not it then u must have a leak

·
OILCOUNTRYMODERATOR
x_posts
travs u can smell gas like theres not tomorrow but in my opinion is not just because of the exaust leak i think his 02 sensor is gone causin it to run extremly rich and thus u can smell the gas big time cause of the exaust leaks...not to mention its a piggy on gas

·
Registered
x_posts
Charcoal can is below and to the right of the black box. Looks like an a/c evaporator canister.

Fuel psi should be around 40psi? Doh, no wonder car is running kinda funny, lol. Got mine set at 35psi. /smack self in face

·
Registered
x_posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay I know its been 4 years since I first posted this thread but im resurrecting it! I have been driving the car for this many years with this same problem. And in that 4 years I have gained alot of knowledge of automobile systems af all kinds. That being said, I think after swapping every possible sensor and air/fuel control imput, I am finally on the right track of figuring this out. Maybe.. lol.. Alright, the fuel smell I was describing back when I was younger and dumber is the smell of unburned fuel. It seems that my car is running excessively rich. I know this because of the smell, all the smoke from the exhaust, and most of all the slight misfire that the car has had since 2006.. Now I got to thinking about what I havent checked and what I havent swapped and it led me to the actual fuel delivery system. Im resurrecting this thread because I need someone that knows to explain in detail how exactly the fuel return system works and an explaination of our Evap systems and how the two are related exactly. See... I fugured out a week ago that clamping off the rubber fuel return hose right after the fuel pressure regulator makes the car run smoothly. Like night and day, unclamping it makkes the car run poorly, clamping it again makes the sputter go away. Another symptom that my poor running "good" prelude has that my perfect running "parts" car has is that on my lude, when I remove the return hose from the regulator, i have pressurized fluid coming back up from the fuel tank through the return line... On the good running car, removing the same hose yeilds no fluid coming out from it.. Hmmm... Now does anyone have any idea whats going on. ( cars fuel injected) ask any questions if needed. I want to figure this shit out once and for all.

x_y_of_z_posts