Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Memento Mori
7,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Never made a build thread for my white 91 so I'm going to catch up with this post.

Ever since I did the H22 swap on my black 91 I had a B20a taking up space in my garage. I got out of the Army in June and started watching craigslist for a cheap 3rd gen with a blown engine.

Sure enough one popped up and I went to check it out. 91 ALB all white. It was a little dirty but no major damage or rust and I figured I could clean it up quite a bit. Bought it and brought it home. (Oh and it still had the clock cover! SCORE)

I pulled the blown B21a1. Turns out the kid I bought it from screwed up a timing belt job and destroyed the motor, his loss my gain I guess. That's where the pics begin, click on show spoiler to see the post:

2 JUL 14: B20a Swap
Half cleaned bay:

B20a getting there:

Destroyed B21a1:

9 JUL 14: Door, more swap
The hinges were shot so I swapped them out and re-aligned the door:

B20a done:

Ready to drop in:

10 JUL 14: B20a final, balljoints
B20a swap 90% complete:

Done!:

Replaced some old balljoint boots with ones from a 4G Accord:

At this point I also cut the springs a bit to get rid of the lift kit look. 2.5 coils front and 1.75 coils rear. Handles awesome and rides like stock.

15 JUL 14: Cleaning!
Time to eliminate 200k worth of dirt. I removed the seats and carpet then hit them with a pressure washer, some soap scrubbing, and finally a shopvac:

After I cleaned the interior I started on the outside. I claybared the whole car and got out my polisher, the paint came out really good. I also had the windows tinted to 20% at this point as well.

30 JUL 14: Mirrors
Took a picture of my 3 ludes, the old primered 89 is about to get stripped and hauled off:

Fixed my shaky mirrors:

1 AUG 14: A.L.B. fix failure!
I was attempting to fix my ALB system. I cleaned out the reservoir and tested the solenoids. Everything was good until I checked the pump motor, which was dead:

Motor removed:

I disassembled the motor and it was full of crap. I don't know much about electric motors but I could see that the brushes were completely worn out:

I took it all apart and cleaned everything. I managed to find some compatible brushes in a 2G lude wiper motor. I put it all back together, tested it, and it works! Or so I thought...

After reinstalling it in the car and filling the reservoir with fluid I activated the pump. It ran fine for 5 seconds then stopped, dead again. At this point I'm just going to try and find one that already works and use this old one for spares.

8 AUG 14: First aid kit, fire extinguisher
I put together a first aid kit for each of my cars and my camping pack:

Mounted in the car with a fire extinguisher as well:

17 AUG 14: Alignment time
Simulating driver weight:

Smart strings alignment system:

All done:

22-23 AUG 14: North West Prelude and Accord yearly meet
Pics speak for themselves:

30 AUG 14: Fixing the A/C system
I replaced the compressor and dryer, then resoldered the CCU:

Refilled the system with Enviro-safe coolant which 1funryd told me about, blows real cold:

13 SEP 14: One of the last good drives before the weather went to shit:

5 NOV 14: Invasion of the mice!
Son of a bitch, every winter, always:

I covered the pressure vent in the trunk and blower intake with screen to try and keep the mice out:

9 NOV 14: 4WS swap number 3
I jacked the 4WS system off my black H22 lude and stuck it on this lude. When I had the rear rack out I noticed quite a bit of oxidation so I decided to paint it and the rear subframe:

30 NOV 14: Front lip, sway bar, bumper support
Installed a 2g Integra front lip, it follows the bumper profile really good:

Started work on a lightweight bumper support, but I need to buy some more steel:

My rear sway bar is tacked together and I'm waiting on some rod ends to come in so I can complete the endlinks and do a test with suspension travel:

9 JAN 15: Sway bar 2
I got my prototype 22mm swaybar completed today. Paint needs to dry overnight before I install it for testing.

I almost finished the lightweight bumper support but I thought up a better way to do it so I've cut it apart again to rework it.

10 JAN 15: Sway bar test, front lip 2
Installed the bar and went on a 30 min drive. Seems to work good and nothing blew up. Cant do a proper test until the roads dry.

The endlinks make some noise at low speed but that's ok on this bar because it's intended to go on my H22 lude. I'll have to come up with a poly solution for the 19mm version I'm going to build to run permanently on this car.

Reinstalled the bumper and got some pics of the Integra lip installed:

4 APR 15: Bumper support finished
I've been procrastinating but did actually manage to finish the bumper support:

The paint is drying right now. I've got to take some measurements off it tonight and will do the final install tomorrow.

I did weigh it vs. stock bumper setup and this one saves 22 lbs. If the rear ends up being similar that's about 40 lbs saved, which ain't bad.

10 APR 15: Meet
Here's some new pics from the 4th when Ludcifer, 1Funryd and I had a little meet:

31 DEC 15: Making Front STB
Started making a STB for this car:

The two point portion is done but its final form should be a 3 point triangle shape tied into the firewall.

1 JAN 16: Making Front STB Part 2
Here is the firewall/cowl mount:

I forgot to take a picture of the reinforcement bracket that will go onto the back of the sheet metal here. Without it the 3rd point would be mostly for show as the metal here is very flexible.

Here is a rough idea of how it will look when done:

3 JAN 16: Making Front STB Part Final
Thanks for the comments.

Here is the reinforcement bracket:

The 10mm bolt holds it permanently in place so I don't need to pop the cowl open when I want to remove the STB. The 2 vertical bolts allow me to put a slight pre tension on it.

Just before final welding:

Painted:

Installed:

23 JUN 16: Shocks and Bushings
Waiting on parts for another project so I decided to move on with this car as I've been sitting on some parts for almost 6 months.

I installed some shocks:

I installed them without the dust covers to check how much travel they have before hitting the bump stops. That came out to be 0 in the front and very little in the rear.

I cut them some and I have a tiny bit of travel now but I'm going to need to make some raised top hats to get the travel I want. After that I'll be able to to start measuring for progressive bump stops. I want to keep the spring rate near stock for a OEM ride quality while cruising, then have it increase rapidly with a little compression.

This is what I'm doing tomorrow:

29 JUN 16: Polyurethane and Raised Top Hats Installed
I actually finished the poly install Saturday but I got busy helping with 1FunRyd's H22 swap and forgot to post the pics:

Finished the raised top hats today:

I do need to pull the fronts again and stack a few washers under the lower bushing, because the rod sticks up too high right now and touches the hood.

Otherwise I have at least 2" of travel in the front and 3" in the rear now. (Before it was 1/4" front and 1" rear.)

28 JUL 16: Progressive Bump Stops
Back under the knife:

Installed these progressive bump stops:

Actually, it would be more accurate to think of them as secondary springs. Here is the graph for these stops:

Still rides good. I just need to align it now and do a long test drive to really evaluate how all this work has affected the ride and handling.

Bonus spy shot of sway bars V2.0. They just came back from heat treatment and will go on once they are powder coated:

25 SEP 16: 22mm Sway Bar Installed
Got the anti-roll bars power coated and installed. Here is the finished product:

Going with black for as many parts as I can to keep the stealth look.

I also replaced the brake master cylinder as it had given up last time I drove it.

The current mod list is:
2g Integra front lip
20% Tint
JDM B20A
12lbs Flywheel
AEM cam gears
MustardCat Short-Throw Shifter
Password:JDM shift boot
Skunk 2 shift knob
5th Gen floor mats
Custom front 3 point STB
Full polyurethane suspension
Cut springs: 2.25 coils front, 1.75 coils rear
Sachs dampers with Speedthane progressive bump stops
Raised top hats
Broken ALB
22mm sway bar
Lightweight front bumper support
4WS swap

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
What's cooler than cool? Ice cold.

- and any 3rd gen this clean.

·
Memento Mori
7,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Installed a 2g Integra front lip, it follows the bumper profile really good:

Started work on a lightweight bumper support, but I need to buy some more steel:

My rear sway bar is tacked together and I'm waiting on some rod ends to come in so I can complete the endlinks and do a test with suspension travel:

·
Memento Mori
7,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got my prototype 22mm swaybar completed today. Paint needs to dry overnight before I install it for testing.

I almost finished the lightweight bumper support but I thought up a better way to do it so I've cut it apart again to rework it.

·
Memento Mori
7,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sway bar is interesting for sure. I wanna see how you do the bumper support. What are your plans for the car? Just daily it?
It's just a pleasure car. It's going to stay stock looking in and out, any mods I do have to be clean and real low key.

Installed the bar and went on a 30 min drive. Seems to work good and nothing blew up. Cant do a proper test until the roads dry.

The endlinks make some noise at low speed but that's ok on this bar because it's intended to go on my H22 lude. I'll have to come up with a poly solution for the 19mm version I'm going to build to run permanently on this car.

Reinstalled the bumper and got some pics of the Integra lip installed:

·
Memento Mori
7,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have any pictures of the finalized bumper support?
No I scrapped the one I was working on. I've changed the design to add a collapsible feature to hopefully save the chassis during a bump at parking speeds.

I also want to make the new one from aluminium to get the weight down lower still. This is how it should end up looking:

·
Memento Mori
7,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been procrastinating but did actually manage to finish the bumper support:

The paint is drying right now. I've got to take some measurements off it tonight and will do the final install tomorrow.

I did weigh it vs. stock bumper setup and this one saves 22 lbs. If the rear ends up being similar that's about 40 lbs saved, which ain't bad.

·
Registered
24 Posts
that is one nice build man. can't wait to start working on mine. your carpet looks good sitting in the driveway hahahaah. i need to do the same as you and gut the entire interior to get it clean.

·
Memento Mori
7,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. Check out page 681 of the online manual before you try to remove the carpet because there is a section at the front you have to cut to get it out.

Here's some new pics from the 4th when Ludcifer, 1Funryd and I had a little meet:

·
Registered
555 Posts
You just got out in June 2014? Thank you for your service! I got out in June 2013 :) I love your Lude. So clean. That's EXACTLY what i want: a clean, white Lude with 4WS. I'm jelly. I can't wait to see what you do with it

·
Memento Mori
7,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've got some ideas. But there's some big stuff to finish on my H22 lude first, so I'm not going to do too much more to this car until I finish that one.

·
Memento Mori
7,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Started making a STB for this car:

The two point portion is done but its final form should be a 3 point triangle shape tied into the firewall.

·
Memento Mori
7,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is the firewall/cowl mount:

I forgot to take a picture of the reinforcement bracket that will go onto the back of the sheet metal here. Without it the 3rd point would be mostly for show as the metal here is very flexible.

Here is a rough idea of how it will look when done:

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
When I first saw the pictures before reading the text, my thought was "well that's pointless"

You got it under control haha.

·
Memento Mori
7,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the comments.

Here is the reinforcement bracket:

The 10mm bolt holds it permanently in place so I don't need to pop the cowl open when I want to remove the STB. The 2 vertical bolts allow me to put a slight pre tension on it.

Just before final welding:

Painted:

I'll have final install pictures tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts