Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the other day my car started making this whining sound when idling. the pitch increases when the throttle is applied untill about 1500 rpm and up, but then comes back when the car returns to idle. I have never heard anything like it in any car I have had. I uploaded a video of it here

http://z341.com/ludewhine.MPG - right click and hit save

Help anyone??

·
Banned
5,085 Posts
Sorry no help on the whinning noise but it sounds like you need a valve adjustment.

·
RHD Pimpin
10,152 Posts
May need to either tighten or loosen up your belts a little. If they're too tight, they whine under accleration, and if they're too loose, they're whine as well. It also sounds like you need a valve adjustment, cause I hear alot of ticking..How many miles do you have on your car? Take your valve cover off and see what your timing belt looks likes...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
yeah, I just hit 100,000. Where should I take it to get a valve adjustment? Is honda as good a place as any to get that done? I might as well get all new belts, it's that time anyway. I'll be doing the timing belt again soon as well because I have some minor oil leaks I want to get rid off.

oh, and how much does an adjustment cost?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Yea you can go to Honda if you want. Only thing with that is that theyre going to rape you on prices. I would call various reputable auto places around your area to get a price range.

·
RHD Pimpin
10,152 Posts
Nola BB6 said:
Yea you can go to Honda if you want. Only thing with that is that theyre going to rape you on prices. I would call various reputable auto places around your area to get a price range.
+1...As for a T-belt job, you shouldn't need another one already. You should have it done once every 90k miles or so

·
Registered
15 Posts
When was your timing belt last replaced? If it was overtightend it would whine. Same with any ACC. belts. It is posoble that you may have a bearing gonig ou in you p/s pump or your alt. but it is unlikely that bearing noise would go away with increased RPM. You can check these bearing by simply removing the belt. Did you check for vacuum leaks? As you know as RPM goes up, Vacuum goes down, causing the noise to go away. Try spraying brake cleen or starting fluid in the area of the noise

dont go to honda, yea we do the best job out there but in burien we charge $85 an hour, well below other honda dealers, but still more than no-nothing shops. If you want to take it to a private shop, I recoment Delridge moters in Delridge, if your in the area. Ask for tony, the owner he used work with us and he is Honda certified

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
if your doing the timing belt you should replace all the seals cam,crank,balance shaft,and oil pump seal, add a balance shaft seal retainer, and replace the auto tensioner. so that your belt will last 90k 97-99 or 105k for 00-01

1 - 9 of 9 Posts