Honda Prelude Forum banner

which antenna lead to use on my 89 prelude?

799 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  CruZin89LuDe 
#1 ·
Please help,
I am in the process of installing a alpine head unit in my 89 prelude.
Which one of the two antenna leads am i supposed to plug into the head unit?
Do they have to be plugged in for the antenna to go up and down?
The yellow with the white stripe wire feeds the power antenna, correct?
Is there a dedicated fuse for the power antenna or is it part of the radio circuit fuse?
Thanks in advance.
Damon

#2 ·
I didn't remember that 89's had the option. On heavily optioned ludes there is a second rear window antenna. looks like the defrost bars. Its your choice which to use. Supposedly both work good. The power antenna wire needs to be hooked up if your going to use it, mast. Check the faqs here for wiring or the online shop manual in the 3g forum. If you short out your radio while installing it and your clock doesn't work check the clock fuse under the hood. Welcome to the site.

#4 ·
if you get annoyed by your motorized antenna i'd suggest switching. The antenna in the window worked great for me. Your factory radio managed to use both, but new ones should be fine with either one.

#5 ·
Thanks guys, Its gonna be a long day here at work, but I am going to have another look at it tonight before the sun goes down.
I suspect my connection from the Alpine harness to the antenna power wire has come apart, thus no antenna up and down, and no reception because thats the lead I have the head unit plugged into.
Is there any way to splice the two antenna leads together and plug them in as one? will this work, is there any advantage to doing this as far as reception goes?

#6 ·
if your antenna's not goin up and down your motor's probably shot (the antenna motor that is). You can easily switch to the other plug by getting a male to male antenna cable. I don't think you'll notice a difference in reception quality, joining them together wouldn't benefit you (I think) the stock deck didn't even try to use bothat the same time. I think it used whichever signal was stronger. Anyway good luck man.

#7 ·
I think I have it figured out what i am gonna do.
The power antenna is not OEM and has been ghetto wired.
I found out today the twin antenna system is called 'diverse antenna' and was used mainly in nissan mid 80s to mid 90s. The head unit takes both signals procceses the signal and gives you optimum reception. But. my alpine head unit does not process diverse signals so it does no good to hook up both. you cant just splice them together either. So its the end for the power antenna and i will hope the antenna in the rear window will do the trick. Saves me having to hook up a power antenna over ride switch too.
Next project, Kicker amp in trunk and JL 12 in sealed box. the stereo system is a transplant from my last car.
Next next project alpine 6X9's in rear deck.
Next next next project alpine components in front doors (still to purchase)
pictures to come in a few weeks. stay tuned.
Thanks for your help and advice. More questions to come.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.