Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not the ports where the EGR plugs into the intake manifold but the ports leading into the intake manifold runners. I think mine are plugged.

My car (88SI) failed the 25/25 oxides of nitrogen test.

I can hook up my vacuum pump and fully raise the EGR pintle at idle and this has no effect on the idle. Supposedly, this should cause a very rough idle or cause the engine to stall. So I'm thinking that the pintle is raising (no CEL) and the exhaust is being routed but it's not reaching the intake runners.

I have the EGR off the car and it does work.

·
Memento Mori
7,501 Posts
They are tiny holes that go down into each of the runners on the lower manifold. If you look in from the head side, you can just barely see them.

I have no clue how you could clean them out, possibly spray a ton of carb cleaner into the EGR end then blow it out with compressed air?

·
no mo mod
13,011 Posts
no sir...you can clean them with the manifold on

get the EGR valve off and take some wd40 and compressed air to em!
or, if you can find a small enough (and long enough) brush, (home depot or lowes might have one...I've never looked) you could run the brush through the ports

OR

as I've seen some guys do (I dont find it necessary...but whatev) they drill holes in the welds on the EGR runners at each manifold port, clean them out that way, then screw in some small allen plugs
*shrug*
the wd40 and compressed air worked fine for me

·
no mo mod
13,011 Posts
*shrug*
I suppose when you're workin on your own car, it doesnt matter as much.
when you're getting paid, you gotta be fast :D

·
Registered
7,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, you got it tsiah...I'm retired and the Prelude isn't our only car so if it takes a week to do this job, that's fine...I just won't be able to go fishing. :wzbigcry::wzbigcry:

Plus, I really need to make sure the ports are clear so I can pass my emissions test and register my car (little license plate sticker) At $25 per test and one re-test, I don't feel like messing around.

Sad part is that when the EGR system works again I will loose some power.

:wzbigcry::wzbigcry:

·
no mo mod
13,011 Posts
you really dont lose power with EGR...its only functional during cruise anyway.
its only there to reduce NOx emissions :emthup:

you could always retard the timing a few degrees or run some "guaranteed to pass" stuff through there ;)
as long as the MIL isnt on, they'll never know the difference
:lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts