Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,
New member here - I just bought a black 2000 Prelude last night! Have a quick question though...the 'lude I just bought has 106k on the clock. When I talked to a Honda dealer before buying, he said that I should be replacing the clutch about now, but it still felt okay on the test drive. When should I be replacing the clutch on this car? Could I potentially hold it out until 120k (which would be roughly a year for me)?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Welcome,

I usually don't replace my clutch until it starts showing signs of wear such as slipping.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
a clutch can last 10 years if you drive it right.

that being said i need a new one ;)

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
Yea if it feels good then don't worry about it yet. the clutch on my Beater Accord lasted 200,570 miles over 13 years! it was all highway commute miles and started slipping on me and felt really weak so I finally replaced it, hah.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
My 95's clutch lasted 116k miles, a lot of which was hard-driven. My buddy's 300ZX lasted 15 years and 180k without needing replacement.

You'll know if you need to replace it. Keep some money on the side if you're worried about it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good to know, thanks for the input everyone. I think I will put some cash aside for that clutch just in case.

·
Type-Esss
4,714 Posts
Even w/ it slipping a bit you can still hold off a bit to replace it if you drive it carefully. Of course if the previous owner liked to ride the clutch, not push it in all the way, downshift w/ a long drag instead of quick rev match, and hold the friction pt. on hills instead of just using the e-brake, your clutch will break. I happened to be lucky enough to have it happen on the highway during a long trip. It's really great when you're doing 78 in the fast lane and try to downshift to pass sum1 only to find out that your car refuses to go into gear. Then it won't go back into 5th either. No amount of double-clutching or rev-matching helped, eventually I just had to force it. It was fun tryin to deal w/ that in traffic for the next few days until I got home. Oh, and you have no idea how neat-o it is to have your car stall when you push the clutch IN at low speeds, then roll along making loud clunky noises until it randomly backfires and chokes back to life w/ no warning. Yeah, bad drivers suck. So do broken clutches. The worst are bad drivers who break clutches. With that said, as long as you don't have this same terrific luck, you should be fine until you can't stand the slipping any longer.

·
Registered
206 Posts
i purchased a 01 lude 4 months ago, had 108,000kms (67,500miles) on it and just them it was pretty bad! slipped quite a bit so i replaced it with a stock one.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
drive it till you can't drive it anymore

1 - 12 of 12 Posts