Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i am looking at some new cameras because one i really like photography with cars and such, and there are some really nice photos on this site but i dont have 700 bucks to spend one a uber nice cam. so what is your cam and how much did you pay for it.

right now i have a digtal hp i think its 8mp its and alright camera im looking for something that takes night shots better and just a better cam alaround. ive been looking at the nikon coolpix any suggestions?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I use a Sony Alpha 300 with a 18-55mm lens. Got is in new condition from a friend that is a professional photographer.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Im using a Nikon D5000 with a 18-55, 28mm, 50mm, 75-210, 43-86, and a 35-85. absolutely love it to bits. Hoping to upgrade to a d300 at some point, but for now i can take some serioiusly awesome pics with this.

Link to my flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

edit: didnt realize you were looking for something cheaper. mine was about 650 with the kit lens

Also, if you order, get it from B&H or adorama. good prices, awesome shipping.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,272 Posts

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
You get what you pay for. But i was told one time that past... i think it was 12 megapixels, isnt really important unless you plan on blowing them up into like poster sized pictures. Also, you might find that 4x zoom might not be enough for you?

Start looking:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ns=p_PRICE_2|0&ci=991&N=4291645412+4293918167
yeah honestly, for all the fuss people make about mp, they dont really matter that much till they get blown up. i still have decent looking posters from back in the day with a 1mp camera lol

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Roadtrip. those pics HAVE to have been photoshopped... those colors on hte water shots can't have come from the camera.... if so, HOW?!?!

I also own a Canon Rebel XSI and here are some of my best shots (unedited straight from camera):

and pics of other things other than my car when I went to L.A.:

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Ludercrs, i have a picture of my set up, let me upload it and ill post it here. They are unedited in photoshop, just enhanced the colors a bit in aperature 3.

Ill be backkk

Edit: K, i couldnt find my setup picture but this one will do. This is unedited, but you get the idea.

I simply put a small amount of water in a cookie sheet tray, hung a bag from the top of the stove fan, poked a hole in it, and took pictures as the water dripped. The colors were created with a piece of paper i colored the rainbow pattern onto. The leveler you were with the surface of the water, the more vibrant the colors were. Then in aperture 3 i simply enhanced the colors.

I used a desk lamp to bounce light off the piece of paper, and the on camera flash to bring out the drop.

Sorry to thread jack. Back on topic now.

·
Registered
835 Posts
haha thanks guys all thoughs pictures look awesome, but thats still to rich for me lol i really have been lookin at this one what do u think. i want a camera that takes good quality pictures with out me haveing to save up for a year lol
I'd say check out cameralabs.com and/or dcresource.com for full reviews on the camera(s) you're considering. Not only can you get sample pictures under similar situations for side by side comparisons, you also get a breakdown of what features are available, ease of use, versatility, quality, etc. They also compare cameras in the same 'class,' so you can really get a good feel of what you're going to be getting.

You really just need to familiarize yourself with what the different settings do (if they are able to be manipulated manually) because it's really not the camera so much... I've seen horrible pictures taken with top dollar equipment and the other way around.

EDIT:
Also, don't forget that some of these "rich" cameras can be found used relatively cheap. Some of them are hardly used, while others still function perfectly, and the shooter is just upgrading.

·
Registered
157 Posts
haha thanks guys all thoughs pictures look awesome, but thats still to rich for me lol i really have been lookin at this one what do u think. i want a camera that takes good quality pictures with out me haveing to save up for a year lol
Ive got a Canon Powershot SD1200 IS, had it about a year. its pretty good for me, (very novice user) and the pictures are very clear. i paid around $150 last x-mas, i think. Anyway, i like the Canon's for the price. Good luck with your choice, get us some pics of your beautiful car man!

·
Registered
771 Posts
You can never go wrong with Canon, I vouch for it. I have the first one, the 300D or Digital Rebel, it's nice!

·
Ludimus Catacus
1,974 Posts
You really aren't going to get stellar photos until you move into SLRs. Point and Shoot cameras are OK, but they are extremely limiting in many respects; SLRs give a lot of freedom and also make you a much better photographer. I started out with a Canon Rebel XT and a 18-55mm lens and it was great. Got it for about $500. A couple years ago, I moved up to a Canon 40D and it is plenty of camera for me. I got it for $625. If I was in the market for a new body (I do want one, but I don't dem cash monies), I would definitely get one that can shoot HD video. Either a 7D or 5D mkII, though right now, they are way out of my price range.

What's really going to cost you are lenses. I've spent twice as much on lenses than on bodies. The advantage with SLRs is that if you have a bunch of lenses, you can use them with different bodies if you upgrade (assuming you stay within the same brand.)

If you really want to get into photography and learn how to take good pictures, get an SLR. Save up, research, and get you good one. You will not regret it. If you just want to take snapshots of your car or your dog playing with his chew toy to show your friends how cute he is, get a Point and Shoot. If you go with an SLR, look into the Canon T2i, T1i, Xsi, or maybe even a 40D (should be cheaper now, but probably more camera than you need.) I'm a Canon fanboy, so I can't recommend other brands, but Nikon and Sony also make great cameras.

Again, if you get an SLR, you won't regret it; it is awesome being able to control everything about the picture you take and you learn a whole lot about photography. Do lots of research and looks at places like B&H or Adorama (like mentioned before), they often have good deals. If you start leaning towards Canon (SLR or P&S), hit up http://www.photography-on-the.net/forum/ there is TONS of good info there.

Good luck!

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
For future reference, the "General" section is intended to be general discussion related to cars. Topics like this belong in "Off Topic"

Thanks.

Moved to Off Topic.

-JL

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
You really aren't going to get stellar photos until you move into SLRs. Point and Shoot cameras are OK, but they are extremely limiting in many respects; SLRs give a lot of freedom and also make you a much better photographer. I started out with a Canon Rebel XT and a 18-55mm lens and it was great. Got it for about $500. A couple years ago, I moved up to a Canon 40D and it is plenty of camera for me. I got it for $625. If I was in the market for a new body (I do want one, but I don't dem cash monies), I would definitely get one that can shoot HD video. Either a 7D or 5D mkII, though right now, they are way out of my price range.

What's really going to cost you are lenses. I've spent twice as much on lenses than on bodies. The advantage with SLRs is that if you have a bunch of lenses, you can use them with different bodies if you upgrade (assuming you stay within the same brand.)

If you really want to get into photography and learn how to take good pictures, get an SLR. Save up, research, and get you good one. You will not regret it. If you just want to take snapshots of your car or your dog playing with his chew toy to show your friends how cute he is, get a Point and Shoot. If you go with an SLR, look into the Canon T2i, T1i, Xsi, or maybe even a 40D (should be cheaper now, but probably more camera than you need.) I'm a Canon fanboy, so I can't recommend other brands, but Nikon and Sony also make great cameras.

Again, if you get an SLR, you won't regret it; it is awesome being able to control everything about the picture you take and you learn a whole lot about photography. Do lots of research and looks at places like B&H or Adorama (like mentioned before), they often have good deals. If you start leaning towards Canon (SLR or P&S), hit up http://www.photography-on-the.net/forum/ there is TONS of good info there.

Good luck!
x2. Hes right, point and shoots are very restricting in that aspect. But dont be fooled because DSLR's can still be used for those kind of "point and shoot" shots, like during the holidays. Save up and buy a DSLR.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
My dad has a Nikon coolpix that he got bout 5 years ago. Very good camera, amazing pics (sometimes.)

1 - 20 of 77 Posts