Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when the car is off and i wigle the steering wheel back and forth it maks this clicking sound. when its runnig its fine, a little loose, but fine. what could the issue be, and is it dangerous. if it is dangerous does it have a easy fix or do I have to replace the gear box.

:dontgetit:pS: I dont really do steering componits so please help:dontgetit:

·
~~EVIL LAUGH~~~
1,503 Posts
dave0000 said:
is it a clicking or more of a knocking? could be steering rack ends
I concur. My Integra does that. It pops when I turn the steering wheel and feels floaty when driving. Not super dangerous, but it has the potential to get that way.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
could be the axels...if thats the case yes its dangerous. i just bought new ones...mine was clicking...expensive but needed

·
Kickass truck missed
6,583 Posts
jack front of car up. set with stands. grab a wheel. move it in and out and along its turning cycle. you dont want to turn the wheel as must as you want to just move it enough to feel for play. i little play is ok...

check other wheel.

if it makes the noise ... track it down.
if its coming from the ends.. look at that sides tie rod end.
if its coming from the center, check out the rack.

if its coming from the top or bottom, its time to check the respective balljoint.

if the wheel wiggles up and down, or has a lot of play or general slop,
(wheel bearings bad, maybe even axels bad or suspension part broke.)
if the wheel is loose do not drive.

bad bearings usaly make a faint crackling/grinding noise when the wheel is spun slowely. ther is also play when they get really bad.

axels make a clicking noise when they are turning if they are bad.

if you dont hear anything from outside, its most likely inside.. like the steering wheel hitting/rubbing the housing or something a little wore in the knuckle/steering shaft.

hard to guess.. just putting ideas out.

of course all of this will be contested by tomorrow :lol:

·
Registered
307 Posts
yea, im guessing its your axles by the sound of what you described. It is a rather easy fix if you have the time. It is not dangerous, it just isnt comfortable or going to performance as well if that is the case.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Why would it be axles? Makes no sense!
It does it when stationary with just turning the steering wheel.
that tells you it can't possibly be the axles !!!

CAds covered it pretty much.

Chances are it is play in the rack.
Could be TRE's etc as he said.
Mine has a small amount of rack play for about 20k and sounds exactly how you describe.
Mine was thoroughly checked for MoT (inspection) last week and was of no concern to the tester.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
CADster said:
jack front of car up. set with stands. grab a wheel. move it in and out and along its turning cycle. you dont want to turn the wheel as must as you want to just move it enough to feel for play. i little play is ok...
a little play is NOT okay. if there is any plat AT ALL in the tie rod ends, do not drive the car until you have replaced them. if the play is in the rack, its ok to an extent depending how much play you consider to be a little play.

CADster said:
if the wheel wiggles up and down, or has a lot of play or general slop,
(wheel bearings bad, maybe even axels bad or suspension part broke.)
if the wheel is loose do not drive.
if there is play up and down, its more likely a bad upper ball joint than any of the above listed. bad axels wont create any play on the wheel at all. the wheel is supported only by the balljoints, wheel bearing, and tie rod end. if there is any play in the wheel, these are the only possible parts that can be bad. control arm bushings being completely shot and deteriorated can also make for some play in the wheel, but the bushings would have to be absolutely f*cked for it to create play.

CADster said:
of course all of this will be contested by tomorrow :lol:
hey, you asked for it CAD lol, so there it is haha

·
Registered
978 Posts
It could be that you're TURNING THE WHEEL WHEN OFF!

You're not really supposed to turn the wheel. It sort of locks when the timing stops and the power steering is off... you know. Without the power steering, there is a lot more stress on the wheel/rack.. and, I'm not 100% sure, but you MIGHT damage the steering rack or something. I'd check it out.

·
Kickass truck missed
6,583 Posts
motoxxxman said:
a little play is NOT okay. if there is any plat AT ALL in the tie rod ends, do not drive the car until you have replaced them. if the play is in the rack, its ok to an extent depending how much play you consider to be a little play.
a little play is a little play. the wheel moving a 1/64th of an inch is fine.

my car had a little play in the front wheel for years. I did not eat tires. I did not have a wheel fall off. i had no problem driving it. my play was in the rack and it was fine.

but now that i have a new suspension, i have no play, zip, zero.

motoxxxman said:
if there is play up and down, its more likely a bad upper ball joint than any of the above listed. bad axels wont create any play on the wheel at all. the wheel is supported only by the balljoints, wheel bearing, and tie rod end. if there is any play in the wheel, these are the only possible parts that can be bad. control arm bushings being completely shot and deteriorated can also make for some play in the wheel, but the bushings would have to be absolutely f*cked for it to create play.
you do know what 'may' means, right ?

a friends sunbird had bad front wheel bearings. after he replaced them, he still had problems. the bad bearings did something to the axels (or vise versa nd he replaced the bearings first). he had to replace the axels before his front was right again. so its possible.

and by up and and down i mean if you move the wheels up and down and you have play then check the following.. wheel bearings was first on the list because its the most common cause.
if the wheel and hub assembly moves up and down then check the balljoints. just something i did not make clear.

motoxxxman said:
hey, you asked for it CAD lol, so there it is haha
anyone can nit pick.
you forgot to mention the strut and they supports the whole car :p

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CADster said:
a little play is a little play. the wheel moving a 1/64th of an inch is fine.
:dontgetit:At the end of that play when it catches to go from one direction to the other it makes a clacking sound. To me power steering is like magic so in the best laymans terms you have.

Suspention I know and I'm 99.9% sure its none of that unless my bad starbord side strut(but it's just the shock part not the spring or any thing else, and besides it just got the squeaks) has any thing to do with it, witch I'm highly doubt full:dontgetit:

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
I'm still saying some play in the rack.
Everything you say points to it being that.

·
Kickass truck missed
6,583 Posts
fine is not the best word. how about tolerable.

if you dont have a jack and stands. your best bet is taking it to a shop.
with the wheels in the air, its easier to track where the sound is coming from.

you cant say wheels or steering.. too many parts are involved. we will be guessing all day. if only the wheel (meaning rim and tire) makes a clank noise when you move it, but the hub and everything else suspension wise is fine and tight.. it could be a loose wheel, check lug nuts (example, not saying its this)

find the source. where exactly is the sound at/coming from, what part is making the sound... fix or replace that part.

look over the on-line manual and become familer with the shape and look of the suspension parts. then when you troubleshoot your problem, you will reconize the suspension parts and track down the bad one.

thats what you got to do.

88SE Lude said:
I'm still saying some play in the rack.
Everything you say points to it being that.
^ with him on this.
they run about 200+/- for a rebuilt unit.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
CADster said:
find the source. where exactly is the sound at, what part is making the sound. thats what you got to do.
^ And I'm with him on that.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
If it's not doing it when the engine is runnign it's probably nothing to worry about.
Mine's been like it for a year or so and 20k miles of hard use.

Other than that you'll probably need a new rack or a rebuild.

·
Kickass truck missed
6,583 Posts
cainofnorcal said:
:dontgetit:At the end of that play when it catches to go from one direction to the other it makes a clacking sound. To me power steering is like magic so in the best laymans terms you have.
play between the penon gear and flat rack.. but this is just a guess

cainofnorcal said:
Ok, I've look at it and jack it up and its coming from the rack.

Thanks guys, but is there a way to get rid of it?
racks dont have many 'shade tree mechanic' replacable parts. i dont even recall seeing rebuild kits for racks, but im sure they make them.

a little play in a rack just shows its a little wore. a lot of play in a rack shows its got a lot of ware.

your best bet is to just save up your moeny and buy a reman rack. or remove yours and have a local shop rebuild it (phone book, look for a rack/cv axel shop).

of all big parts to replace on a honda prelude. the front rack is really easy to do. i swapped mine so quick i did not even take pics.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts