Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
l know there are a lot of air filters out there so how do i know which one is the best, im pretty much guessing k and n. If anyone knows of anything better lets hear it!

·
REST IN PEACE
16,451 Posts
are you looking for the cleanest air, and highest flow, or just the highest flow...

big difference.

K&N is the cleanest flowing high flow filter...

things like those blitz stainless mesh filters flow more air, but more dirt as well...

it's not just a cut/dried thing here...

there's a few different aspects you need to look at...

a. how clean is the air
b. how much air does it flow
c. how long does the filter last
d. are you willing to sacrifice a. for b.? hmm...

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
142 Posts
you know what...i saws a review of all the big name brand filters...k&n fram air hogs, a facroty filter and then one more...i think it was a no name one...nyways...what they did was used 2 filters...the test one, fram ect, infront and a factory white one behind it...every single filter tehy tested caused the white filter to turn black within about 3 weeks. what thats saying is tht they are all really the same...if you like the idea of being able towash a filter, cool...get a K&N if not, save some money and get a cheap ass ebay one, or an HKS one with the replaceable element

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
K&N, HKS, Greddy (not specifically in that order, but these are the ones i like)

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Gte a steel mesh one. The little bit of crap that gets thru isn't gonna kill your engine. And they ar eeasy to wash out. They sell the Reworks ( APC ) one at Advance for $35 and it has a quick release latch instead of a standard screw type. So it's easy to take off to clean. I like that part.

·
REST IN PEACE
16,451 Posts
prelude_rider said:
you know what...i saws a review of all the big name brand filters...k&n fram air hogs, a facroty filter and then one more...i think it was a no name one...nyways...what they did was used 2 filters...the test one, fram ect, infront and a factory white one behind it...every single filter tehy tested caused the white filter to turn black within about 3 weeks. what thats saying is tht they are all really the same...if you like the idea of being able towash a filter, cool...get a K&N if not, save some money and get a cheap a#% ebay one, or an HKS one with the replaceable element
that's either a bad explanation of a complex test, or a misinterpretation.

again, it's not simply how much dirt you can filter.

is there data supporting the "they all filter the same" test?

what about airflow vs. filtration...

if they all clean the air the same, then which has the best airflow?

meaning, again, that they're not all the same.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Slipslap said:
The little bit of crap that gets thru isn't gonna kill your engine.
If you work as a mechanic long enough you will regret saying that, trust me.

·
Registered
142 Posts
what im saying is tehy all left the back up filter black...get it...none of do a decent job of filtering the air...so if you dont care about that then get one...otehr wise just get a cheap one its all the same at the end of he day

·
iHeart iVTEC
3,933 Posts
K&N is the best air filter (drop-in wise) i have one in my 3rd gen, and i def. noticed a difference. the nice part about the drop-ins is you dont get the loud noise like a SRI or CAI. they are also much better then SRI b/c they ACTUALLY give you power

·
REST IN PEACE
16,451 Posts
LudeExposure said:
Yea dude i filter is filter u may gain 1/2 hp, i have a foam i a friend gave me and it works great, it cost him $15
BULL SHIT.

you guys seriously need to stop talking like you know everything.

you straight up don't.

switching from a cheap aftermarket 3" cone to an K&N filter made a difference on my intake...

a filter is only worth 1/2 a hp?

seriously, where are you getting your numbers from.

when you increase the airflow into the engine by more than 1/2 ( at the filter ) you're going to get more than 1/2HP.

agian, there's alot of uninformed people making unintelligent posts about a topic they should leave well enough alone...

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
LewdLude said:
Slipslap said:
The little bit of crap that gets thru isn't gonna kill your engine.
If you work as a mechanic long enough you will regret saying that, trust me.
Your telling me that the little bit of stuff that gets thru a steel mesh filter is gonna hurt the engine? I find that hard to believe man. But for sake of asking, what is it gonna do to the engine?

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
the little particles that make it through the filter will not hurt your engine. they will burn before anything happens.

·
Herp Derp Lerp
1,568 Posts
what about those blue filters i've been seeing commercials for? THey are washable like the K&N's. We use the K&N's at work (SpeedZone) and they get dirty quick but then again they are not covered. Also we use the air filter oil when we clean them.

·
REST IN PEACE
16,451 Posts
the oil is sticky, which makes the dirt stick to it, not go through the filter...

that's why the get so dirty.

but that doesn't mean they don't block air...
quite the contrary.

getting that dirty shows you just how much dirt is in the air around the filter.
if another filter isn't getting that dirty, that means the dirt is going somewhere, into the engine.

dirt in your engine is never good...
enough dirt into your engine, and you start scratching surface, such as the cylinder walls, etc...

at any rate, it's a big deal on a street car, even more so on a high performance engine in a street car...

drag cars don't run filters b/c they're torn apart every race, so it's not a big deal...

if you have the leisure time to take your engine apart ALL THE TIME to make sure it's all clean inside, get the highest flow filter, don't worry about dirt...

but if you drive it like a real car, get a filter that cleans the air and gets good flow...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts