Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing some reading through the forum and I have a question what would happen if your balance shaft was out of time? Alot of the oil leak threads start out with "just changed my belts" and the common answer is always check the Balance shaft seal, so is it possible that it would start leaking if someone didn't time the balance shaft right?

thanks

Devin

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have been doing some reading through the forum and I have a question what would happen if your balance shaft was out of time? Alot of the oil leak threads start out with "just changed my belts" and the common answer is always check the Balance shaft seal, so is it possible that it would start leaking if someone didn't time the balance shaft right?

thanks

Devin

I think it would just vibrate alot when running I cant see that making your car leak oil.

Thats my uneducated opinion tho

·
I Miss My BB2 :'(
3,589 Posts
no it wont leak oil at all. i dont have my balancer shaft belt on and it shakes a little at idle. adds a little bit more power to.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know if the belt is not on it wont leak my question was if the balance shafts were out of time (not spinning in the right direction or at the right time)

Devin

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I know if the belt is not on it wont leak my question was if the balance shafts were out of time (not spinning in the right direction or at the right time)

there is almost no way to get the balance shafts to spin the wrong direction, but it's entirely possibly to have them spinning out of time. (similar to the camshaft).

out of phase makes the motor vibrate.

the frontmost balance shaft seal (exhaust side of the block) doesn't have anything holding it in from the factory. they have a tendency to pop out a little or alot when you are in there fooling around with the belts.

when it comes out, the motor can pump 4 quarts out in less than 20 minutes.

there is a fix that involves a retention bracket available from honda or a couple aftermarket sources.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts