Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I see a lot of STOCK H22's boosted at 6-10 psi on various, yet common t3/t4 turbos..

I was just wondering if anyone has any dyno charts or could tell us what kind of numbers they hit with this type of setup, so we know what to expect when turbo'n a stock h22.

Please list the mods, amount of psi, along with numbers (dyno charts ++)

feel free to bud in even if you aren't stock!

I guess I'll start first.......

Completely stock (internally) H22
Turbonetics T3/T4 Turbo .63 a/r
450cc DSM injectors
stock fuel pump for now
35mm tial wastegate
2.5" down pipe
3" exhaust w/ apexi turbo muffler
conservatively tuned on uberdata at ~12 air/fuel ratio
@ 4 psi = 220 whp / 195 lb/tq
@ 6 psi = 250 whp / 220 lb/tq

·
Registered
98 Posts
on a stock h22 you shouldn't go past 7-8 pounds...but thats just the norm. I have seen people run 10 pounds and nothing bad has happened. I also have seen people run upwards 8-10 pounds and had them blow their rings within months.

I say dont take chances, if your going to run stock, stay well below the limit. Unless you reinforce your engine and then run 10+

G

·
on a stock motor you want to stay below 9psi and 275whp. you will eventually end up with blowby, cracked pistons or ringlands, scarred piston sleeves, maybe a floated valve or two, blah, blah, blah. cast pistons just aren't made for boost.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i know this guys, i think most H22 owners know that H22's aren't best for boost (stock)..

in this post, I'm not asking you how much PSI or how much WHP a stock H22 can handle safely....

i'm asking if anyone of you have any type of boosted (supercharger/turbo) H22, stock or built, what exact mods you have, at what amount of psi, and please inform us of what kind of numbers you hit (dyno charts are a plus)

this is to give people an IDEA of what to expect.. and an idea of the kind of power to expect with different brands/mods

lets try to keep unnecessary talk outside the thread, and more numbers w/mods list

·
Registered
61 Posts
what is it about the H22 that makes it so shitty to boost? i always hear this but never get a straight answer....its always like "well my friends friend had a H22......"

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
jonno ks said:
what is it about the H22 that makes it so shitty to boost? i always hear this but never get a straight answer....its always like "well my friends friend had a H22......"
H22s have fairly iffy ringlands, so any amount of detonation will break them, cause blowby, and necessitate a rebuild. Detonation is of course easy to come by when turboing a NA motor with a decent compression ratio from the factory (as opposed to low CR factory turbo motors that also have an ECU that knows what boost is). All Honda motors need to be careful with boost, but H-series motors seem to be especially fragile.

The special problem with H22s compared to other Honda motors is they have FRM cylinder liners instead of iron liners. This means you can't drop in replacement pistons to solve the ringland issue without sleeving the block as well, which is pricey.
Recently Mahle has come out with a FRM friendly piston but they're still a little new...

Once you're sleeved the H is as good as anything else.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
keahistight, i'm just curious, how many pounds of boost are you running?
..with a built motor, i would have expected more power

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
The T03/T04 and the T04 turbos are what you want .. The GReddy kit is made to just install, tune and drive around. It isnt made for Drag and/or race... If I dont sell my lude I will do a complete rebuild and upgrade to a 60-1 .63 A/R and run 15- 20 psi.. when I got my GReddy turbo kit I put down 236 whp and 221 torque at 8 psi with the blue box with no major mods other than 2.5 exhaust and an underdrive pulley... after all of my current mods I should be putting closer to 280 whp with the AEM and and all of my fuel upgrades. I will soon be taking it to Greensboro, NC to get it tuned and I will finally know what she will be putting down. Well good luck just be careful what you do when you turbo your car because if you do it wrong you could be with out a car for a while. well take care. peace

Iann P.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Keahistight said:
The max I hit on the Greddy Kit was like 234whp. I have a dyno, I just need to take a picture and put it up. Thats why I switched. I have my 320whp dyno posted up if all you want is dynos.
Something doesn't sound right about that... Boosted521`used to have a GReddy kit on his 1997 with a stock bottom end and an engine management system that wasn't quite as nice as your AEM EMS, and I think he was making more than you were by far.

·
Registered
601 Posts
irolllow said:
Something doesn't sound right about that... Boosted521`used to have a GReddy kit on his 1997 with a stock bottom end and an engine management system that wasn't quite as nice as your AEM EMS, and I think he was making more than you were by far.
On the Greddy kit? ummm, I dont think so. After what I saw I wouldnt question me but the power he claimed to make.
What I made was done with a custom 3 in. DP and no cat as well on AEM EMS on a tune by John Reed. (John is the absolute best tuner of AEM EMS worldwide, period).
The Greddy kit is nice on low boost it dies up top.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Keahistight said:
On the Greddy kit? ummm, I dont think so. After what I saw I wouldnt question me but the power he claimed to make.
What I made was done with a custom 3 in. DP and no cat as well on AEM EMS on a tune by John Reed. (John is the absolute best tuner of AEM EMS worldwide, period).
The Greddy kit is nice on low boost it dies up top.
I think Boosted was making something like 240 or 250

1 - 19 of 19 Posts