Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fairly stock 91 Prelude. The only mod I know of is lowering springs supposedly. It is an auto. I would think exhaust would make it nice because of the sound. I hate the sound of it right now. It sounds like a clunker. I would imagine a CAI would be cool, again for the sound. My brakes suck, but I dont think there are any real decent brake kits out there. I might have to get them checked out by my mecahnic. Any ideas on what would make this car the most fun to drive keeping in mind bang/buck ratio..

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
most fun?
TURBO!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,397 Posts
^ hell ya, but when its maintenence, fuk the turbo :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Turbo would be nice. How much is a full turbo kit? I think I saw one for around $2600, but I dont think that was complete. I also heard my auto tranny would grenade fast with that kind of power adder. Would be nice though..

·
Premium Member
4,397 Posts
i'd recommend a manual tranny swap before you add any turbo or huge performance parts. Only time autos are good for performance are when drag racing or if ure too lazy to shift and you put a supercharger on ;)

Depends on the pieces of the kit, a really nice kit will run about $3000 or so, and a decent will be about $2000-2500

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
if u have that much money why not just buy one thats already done up...spending like 1g on a manual swap and close to 3grand(like 5 if u get it done) for a turbo...u can find a boosted 3g for under that price alone...i would just throw on an integra CAI and some headers...great throttle response and some high end gain...as for the brakes. u can always upgrade to 4th gen. and use legend calipers...or get some SS line and new rotors and pads and she will be greatful...

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
For quick, cheap mods to make it 100% more fun to drive, start with a header and a CAI. Don't need much else to make the engine note sound awesome (unless you're into straight-back exhaust notes that make people two states over complain about the noise). Then add new shocks/struts and lowering springs if you have the money (don't get new springs unless you upgrade the shocks too!). Above that, fatter wheels and stickier tires, then of course a manual tranny is a hell of a joy to run through the twisties.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
suspension ftw

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
^^^ Yup.
Easiest way to make a car more fun is suspension work. 5 horses here and there with a couple of bolt ons will give you some grins, but a car really comes alive with some suspension work. Steering feel, response, grip (assuming everything is done right) all improve, and the whole driving experience becomes that much better. Even when you're just cruising you'll feel more connected to the road, so just driving to the grocery store to get some eggs will put a smile on your face.

Tokico blues and some good springs. Don't bother with coilovers unless you can afford the good shit (Ground Control). Check out your bushings, too. Even if you don't go with polyurethane, new rubber is better than old, dried up rubber.

Fast is good, nimble is better, IMO.

·
Donates his big Member
2,229 Posts
Decent Wheels with Decent Suspension parts equals big grins turbo's only last a few thousand miles then t-total!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The car is lowered so it looks cool. I dont know what kind of springs are on it though. The ride is pretty rough though. I wonder if the guy just cut the springs. I guess I will find out soon enough. The thing scrapes on everything though!

·
JDM fo lyf y0
1,224 Posts
dano said:
Well, how about a freeby..

Instead of using "D" use "S4". I live in a hilly part of Georgia and have done this for years. Transmission does less shifting and stays in lower gears longer.

A much better drive. Of course, you will burn more gas.

:):)
Ahh the amazing sports mode =D I LOVE IT! But does it wear out the transmission?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I only drive it in S4 right now because I think the RPMs in D are higher. I was going to do a search on this topic because I was curious of the difference...

·
Registered
739 Posts
The only thing I like in cars, is a sick ass stereo. I gotta have a nice set of components, amped sub and components, and a niec 30 band EQ. I gotta have clean great sounding music when im in my car..

Im not really much of a person for a fast car, since to really make a car FAST you gotta invest $10,000+

A car just dosnet feel fast running 12's or 13's, when I can hop on my bike and run 10.7's stock lol

·
Premium Member
4,397 Posts
UK Lude - Greg said:
Decent Wheels with Decent Suspension parts equals big grins turbo's only last a few thousand miles then t-total!
turbo on my mr2 lasted 117k just fine ;)

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
i hear that.. i just blew up my 12 the other day, and 3 days later my boss gave me a brand new one fo free and people love it. he said he might have to double it up and get me another one. plus now i got girls dancin on my car lol even though its shitty and i get no respect at school for the lude.. those bitches.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts