Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone replaced their carpet by cutting out their own? Mine is in desperate need of replacing, but I don't want to hunt down some good cond. oem.

I'm just not sure what kind to use if I make my own. Do they make special automotive carpet? or would I just get some regular indoor/outdoor carpet to protect against any water that gets in my car?

TIA

·
Registered
402 Posts
Maybe you could use what they use in boats which is a polypropylene(sic)carpet its water shedding but sucks up oil like crazy.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, cool. I'll look into that. Shouldn't be too hard to keep oil out of my car.

I know it will be a lot of work to cut it, but I'm thinking about changing the color to something that isn't oem. I also want it in really good condition and junkyards usually leave the cars out in the weather, so the carpet gets ruined quickly.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
U can get carpet thats already molded to the cars int. from autozone but its only oem colors y not try something new something different c if u could get some of that material that there using for seat covers now i forget what u call it but i think they got it from like wetsuits or sommething its super waterproof and the stuffs like indestructable
Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
i forgot the site but i;m getting new carpet last time i checked it was 130 bucks for full interior carpet and they had tons of colour, i'm going to get some in the summer i think, change my grey carpet(now blue black and brown lol) to some nice black carpet:D, i think black carpet looks the nicest cause its the easiest to keep clean and doesn't show up dirt and goes with everything:D

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright cool. Thanks for the info guys. I think the toughest part is going to be keeping the carpet snug against the body of the car. Carpet glue sounds like it would help though lol. I've never heard of it.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would anybody happen to have measurements? or have an extra carpet they can measure? It's a real bitch to take the carpet out just to measure it, but I'll probably end up having to..

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Cutting your own is a pain in the ass. Find some stuff molded for your car. That will work best and easiest.

·
NOMnomNOM
3,270 Posts
just get it from stockinteriors.com like mentioned above. you can also find a discount code. i think its like 5 or 10 bucks off. im getting their ultra plush in black. go to their site and they will send you carpet samples FREE! i got a few, and the colors are very nice and the carpet is great. the ultra plush is like half an inch thick! go check them out. its molded and everything, just slightly over sized. i have not done business so i cans say anything about them, but they shipped the samples very fast and were very nice when i spoke to them. you can get it shipped to your house for under 150.they have the stock color too!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Re;Carpet

Has anyone replaced their carpet by cutting out their own? Mine is in desperate need of replacing, but I don't want to hunt down some good cond. oem.

I'm just not sure what kind to use if I make my own. Do they make special automotive carpet? or would I just get some regular indoor/outdoor carpet to protect against any water that gets in my car?

TIA
5Spd, first of all, I can get you excellent stock OEM carpet, from 8/10 to 10/10. Im' a junkyard dog. 88-91 appears the same, Honda tells me a different part #. (they may be diff. in the foot rest area ?) I strongly suggest not cutting carpet on your own, I can only imagine the outcome. Scary. Stock carpet has natural contours you cannot duplicate. I will sell whole carpet for $ 80.oo. If you need it shipped maybe another 30.00 E-mail to [email protected]

·
Registered
531 Posts
On one of my old cars I got some carpet from wal mart! They had auto carpet. I cut it out and installed it. It came out good.
Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.14912/1092; U; en) Presto/2.4.15

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have afriend that hasbeen doing wood decks for houses for over 35yrs. We got to joking about a woodfloor, only he was taking notes. He told me to find what kind of wood I wanted and that he can mount wood to anything, pause for laughter, and would look into it. so im going with a red wood, with a cedar stain. On each side it will be 3 planks with 4 metal rungs for support. I will take some pics of it, not sure how soon due to work and fam and school but I WILL be having wood floor in my lude by winter.......yusssssssssssssssssssssssss

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well I have worked with foam back carpet and sold it as a temporary solution to problems. If all the rooms were under 12 ft, you can consider this solution. The biggest problem will be the seams. I am assuming you are happy with all the work you did in your basement and what the carpet to compliment your efforts. It will look like a home-made job.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh wow, this thread is old..

I ended up cutting my own, then went back to the OEM. I always end up having to learn by experience.. but whatever. I know how to take apart the entire interior now and everything got cleaned.

I'm going to get some custom molded stuff eventually. Prices aren't that bad on ebay.. I'll probably do it when I get my seats reupholstered since I'm doing something way different as far as color goes. 8)

·
Registered
483 Posts
carpet

I don't understand. I can get OEM used 9/10, and you don't want it ? $80 too much ? Maybe you like the $ 870.00 price tag from Honda ? No go ahead and get some cheap aftermarket garbage, or better yet, cut your own, that will look good. lol.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
...I'm doing something way different as far as color goes.
^^^ That's the only reason I didn't want OEM. If I decide to go with black, I'll hit you up.

This is for a 4th gen though, you mentioned something about 88-91.. ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts