Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what kind of amperage the starter calls for when I'm starting the car? I ask because I relocated my battery to the trunk using an Odyssey PC 680 battery (with 680 cold cranking amps) and I just blew the 150 amp safety fuse that I had In the fuse holder. So now I want to match the amperage of my fuse as close to the starter amps as posible. If anyone knows anything it would help. Thanks:Oo:
Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I cant exactly tell you but i know that it'll draw about 60-150 amps with no load and can be up about 200 amps with load

edit: also the starter draws a lot of current at 12 volts. A long wire run (like a relocated battery needs) increases resistance causing a voltage drop. To make up for the voltage drop the starter will draw more current, thereby causing your fuse to blow. You need to use a heavier wire gauge. A poor connection due to corrosion or loose fitting hardware will also cause a higher resistance.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I cant exactly tell you but i know that it'll draw about 60-150 amps with no load and can be up about 200 amps with load

edit: also the starter draws a lot of current at 12 volts. A long wire run (like a relocated battery needs) increases resistance causing a voltage drop. To make up for the voltage drop the starter will draw more current, thereby causing your fuse to blow. You need to use a heavier wire gauge. A poor connection due to corrosion or loose fitting hardware will also cause a higher resistance.
I'm running 1/0 gauge wire so I know that it can handle it. I just ordered a 300 amp fuse and I'm going to check the ring terminals for corrosion and sand them down as necessary. It's wierd. The ring terminals are supposed to be 24k carat gold plated so I don't know why some of them are corroding.
Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I'm running 1/0 gauge wire so I know that it can handle it. I just ordered a 300 amp fuse and I'm going to check the ring terminals for corrosion and sand them down as necessary. It's wierd. The ring terminals are supposed to be 24k carat gold plated so I don't know why some of them are corroding.
Posted via Mobile
well if i also remember correctly, if the starter is old and worn out, i think it can cause it draw more amperage, cant you take the starter off and get it bench tested?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I am pretty darn certain that it drawing more then 150 amps is completely normal. For some reason I had around 200 or a lil more amps being what I thought the average starter on a 4 cylinder draws. You should be ok with the new fuse you bought I would think.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts