Honda Prelude Forum banner

11261 - 11280 of 11313 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
Looked up Unicorn in the Dictionary today......

Saw a Picture of a 1989 Prelude..... :sad:
You're kidding, right? Your post made my chuckle a little bit, but 89 is the most common year for 3rd gens I find at the junkyards around here.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thankee Sai Blaine! Love these comprehensive type search engines, site is great. Also confirmed that there is currently ONE junkyard prelude within 500 miles of my house....hah!

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
That's a pretty cool website but I'm not sure how accurate the information is on the cars in stock at these junkyards. My local yard is listed on that website, and I know for a fact that there are two 1988 Preludes there, but they don't show up in the search. Also, most self-serve junkyards don't inventory parts, only the cars. You usually have to go there and see if the part you need is on the car. Parts puller type salvage yards usually do inventory individual parts, although these are usually limited to major parts. Here's another website that is very helpful when looking for parts...www.car-part.com

·
Registered
55 Posts
Pulled both knuckles and axles in preperation to pull the motor for a rebuild and replace most of the suspension bushings. Also saw that Koyorad was looking to see what other cars they should make radiators for and a fellow 3rd Gen owner also commented for them to make 3rd gen rads. They said they will look into it!

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
If they do tell them to make sure to get the angle right for the temp switch at the bottom. I have never bought an aluminum radiator but from what I have heard here everybody I think just welds the bung in straight. This causes problems of fitting when installed.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Replaced Transmission and Front Motor mounts yesterday. 5 hours. Would have been quicker if Rock Auto hadnt put the wrong part # in the right box for the Transmission mount. :mad2: Holes did not line up at all. So double the time for removal and re-install. Lesson learned, always double check part number vs box/invoice. :rolleyes2:

Front motor mount was pretty straight forward, didnt order part from Rock Auto, they didnt have it.. Since car has 191,000 miles on it, it was/is a drive it till it drops type of car, so I bought a $23.00 mount on Flea Bay :butbut:

Yeah, silly me, holes didnt quite line up :satan_smiley: , <- I deserve that.....
So, a lil slight hoggin' out of a couple of mount holes with my drill burr. Mount is in, all buttoned up, and she is solid, Lock n Load....

Now, on to the other other 3....... :nervous:

Had the typical body rust below gas cap door, and cancer in same side rear wheel well. Scraped, sanded, dental picked, wire brushed loose rust and cancerous metal out, then laid on the Por 15.

Again, drive it till it drops kinda car, so on the cheap Im bringing out the bondo..... :scool::hmmm:

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
yeah I always pop my gas door and wash it too when washing the car. Mine is still good. I did get some gas pockets awhile back. They are made to be pop riveted in after removing the old pocket. I will probably weld one in if I ever have to though. The fact that Honda made a fix beyond the stock pocket shows there was a problem with the design or a need.

I have stock radiator fans and shrouds and I removed the ps one for replacing the front motor mount it made it a lot easier.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Replaced my beatup oil pan and got rid of the crappy old DC header and replaced it with a PLM unit. Looks like I will have to modify it a bit to gain some ground clearance but loving the look so far.

Old

New

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
yeah four bolts and the wiring harness connector but I ended up unhooking the upper radiator hose. The bolts were extremely rusty and one broke off in the radiator. It was one of the radiator bottom ones. Fortunately there was enough of the stud for the shroud to rest on and I got the rest out barely. I used oil and a thread chaser which is different then a tap to clean the other 3 bolts and their bolt holes. I then used antisieze when I reinstalled the bolts.

I also used a 1/2" drive about two foot long extension for my torque wrench for torqueing down the mount to the front crossmember.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
I was scrolling through news feed from msn when I opened a tab on my internet explorer and when I saw a picture of an 88-89 red prelude. It was a road and track picture slide show of "cars ahead of their time" It stated that "do you like the 4ws steering in your turbo Porsche? Well Honda beat you to it by 25 years!" They also stated it was arguably the first mass produced vehicle with 4ws. Pretty cool they picked the prelude for the link teaser to the article. It included cars like the tucker. I would post a link but it wouldn't work. It was apparently posted on march 5th.

11261 - 11280 of 11313 Posts