Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'd also pass on it, the automatic is a turn off... you could find a manual for a similar price and not have to do all the work yourself. When you start taking apart things on older cars like these you will always find more than what you set out to do... but if you want a bit of a project there is nothing wrong with that. The mileage isn't that bad.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I think $1500 if everything else is good. Could be the tiny pics but the paint looks rough. If paint is bad 1200.

I also think you had another thread asking what people thought.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, i didnt give it much thought on the thread- figured fifth gen, post here.

I found out the guy had the transmission replaced and a different engine put in because he blew the old engine. Right there turned me off.

I did find http://scranton.craigslist.org/cto/5401453586.html

which is a 5 speed, it needs more body work, but its $500 bucks cheaper. ($1500 total)

I actually do not know how to drive stick. I learned when i was 16 (now 31) but never owned one, I did however ride a harley the last couple years so i have experience/concept just not good.

I'm gonna go look at this one tomorrow with cash in hand, a friend of mine will drive it to the unused complex nearby and give me some lessons. I feel like a child haha.

what do you think about the one above?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lost me at harley and can't drive manual but wants to convert. In over your head.
Maybe I should've prefaced it by saying I'm buying this vehicle as a platform to learn off of. I own a harley, and learned the concepts of Manual Transmission operation from that but never learned after driving a Jeep twice when I was 16.

I said about buying the automatic and doing a swap first, because I've read horror stories about the AT in Preludes. I could go buy an automatic vehicle, I was looking at a few, however MT is something I want to learn, plus, I've always liked 5th gen Preludes. Not quite sure how any of that equates to me being in over my head. I was more or less weighing option on the second vehicle post on whether or not the car was worth it, and asking for opinions of owners who currently own a 5th gen. I have a few thousand to burn on a project that I want to accomplish myself, because at this point, I've always just taken my cars back to the dealers to be serviced, and never learned shit on my own. I'm no longer touring, and have time to burn when not working out of the office, so I figured a Prelude project car would be a platform to learn off of.

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,274 Posts
I think that if you really want to buy a Prelude, stop looking at the $1500 junk and look for a nicer example, especially if you don't want a parts-munching basket case.

You can find a nice, driveable example that hasn't been ruined by neglect or some punkass kid who spray paints interior parts.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Maybe I should've prefaced it by saying I'm buying this vehicle as a platform to learn off of. I own a harley, and learned the concepts of Manual Transmission operation from that but never learned after driving a Jeep twice when I was 16.

I said about buying the automatic and doing a swap first, because I've read horror stories about the AT in Preludes. I could go buy an automatic vehicle, I was looking at a few, however MT is something I want to learn, plus, I've always liked 5th gen Preludes. Not quite sure how any of that equates to me being in over my head. I was more or less weighing option on the second vehicle post on whether or not the car was worth it, and asking for opinions of owners who currently own a 5th gen. I have a few thousand to burn on a project that I want to accomplish myself, because at this point, I've always just taken my cars back to the dealers to be serviced, and never learned shit on my own. I'm no longer touring, and have time to burn when not working out of the office, so I figured a Prelude project car would be a platform to learn off of.

I know a 12 and 14 year old girls that can drive my jeep. I won't let them touch my car. I have never owned a auto and this is more years than you have been alive. I've killed my car. These things are gutless on the bottom. It's not like a jeep with way more torque than horsepower. You can't let off the clutch in first and it takes off with no gas.

You can toss money at anything but it doesn't mean you should. You are getting good advice from people.

Oh and that last one is wrecked as hell on the drivers side it looks like. $200 and you will tow it off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts