Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I launch between 3800-4k rpm... i have bfg g-forces and average a 2.3 60ft. Some wheel spin but not enough to really slow me down. Also no wheel hop.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I launch off of 2 step at 3800. Seems to be when the car spins less.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
who are you asking??? I have the stock vtec tranny so no and i dont normally heat up my tires

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont waste my tires... most of the time when i launch i drive miles just before then... so the tires are warm enough but as far as a better idea you could also lower tire pressure yes it does slightly wear the tires but not nearly as much as burning out every race my opinion waste of time cash and rubber

·
Danny D's second in Command
4,157 Posts
4000-5000
any lower than 4k and my car bogs down once it grips( lots of wheel hop sometimes)

I too lower my tire pressure

·
bangin' gears
15,676 Posts
you know, i have learned from drag racers that it is pointless to drop the tire pressure on a street tire that is not designed to wrinkle.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
x3 but it is certainly not useless to drop pressure you get less wheel hop regardless and it grabs better because the surface area to the street is bigger but none the less this is not what this thread should be about its RPMs not whether ppl air down or heat up their tires...

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
2700 and feather the clutch, it grabs with no spin or hop, then it catches around 3500-4000 and i can floor it and pulls up without dropping rpms, once i hit vtec i get ready to bang 2nd

It all happens so fast i cant really describe it.

All i know is the key is to feather the clutch, regardless of rpms, if your on street tires. when i firts got my car i dropped it pretty hard, but with a feather it doesnt hop or spin

·
Registered
594 Posts
If i do anything below 3500, it will just bog down until turbo lag catches up. Once boost hits, then ive got to worry about that traction issue.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
2700 and feather the clutch, it grabs with no spin or hop, then it catches around 3500-4000 and i can floor it and pulls up without dropping rpms, once i hit vtec i get ready to bang 2nd

It all happens so fast i cant really describe it.

All i know is the key is to feather the clutch, regardless of rpms, if your on street tires. when i firts got my car i dropped it pretty hard, but with a feather it doesnt hop or spin
ding! ding! ding! we have a winner. this is how you keep your drivetrain in tact. different cars will have a different rpm but anything above 3500 is just asking for trouble multiply that by 10 with high power motors. i hold my 300 at 29-3100 right as the clutch is about to engage i drop it down to 27-2800 right as the clutch catches the tires chirp i floor it and it fucking goes. the only reason i hold it a little above is because it feels more natural to me like when you lift off a bit to shift.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I took this video for another reason but it might help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQqBEj8RxMg

As you can see i took the revs to about 2800 or so. When you get there gradually feather the clutch and gradually give more gas, it just takes practice. I had some wheelspin but this was with full weight in the trunk (sub,toolbox,spare) and on snow tires, and now that i come to think of it, some serious negative camber issues which really cuts back on your contact patch.

so with better tires and nothing in the trunk, that may have been way better

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
^ but sometimes thats not the ideal launching rpm for maximum acceleration/speed.
true but not usually with a street car. i have beaten some cars that should have killed me because they redlined it and dumped the clutch and sat at the line spinning. if you have a built drag car you should be able to launch at higher rpms without breaking shit. with a fwd you really shouldn't need high rpms to launch. i break traction at 3000 in my stock 3rd gen and can spin to third gear. again the rpms will change depending on your setup.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts