Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there i tried serching but couldn't find an answer, so i bought some clear bumper lights and they came with a pair of red bulbs but i had some spare blue leds and i put them in there it looks nice but has anyone tryed it or is it legal in cali or should i put in the red bulbs before i get a tiket??????? thanks guys

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
hey there i tried serching but couldn't find an answer, so i bought some clear bumper lights and they came with a pair of red bulbs but i had some spare blue leds and i put them in there it looks nice but has anyone tryed it or is it legal in cali or should i put in the red bulbs before i get a tiket??????? thanks guys
Blue lights are illegal in 50 states, especially in California.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
^ +1. Get some amber LED bulbs. I have black housing bumpers with regular halogen Clear bulbs, and I hate the way they look. Especially with my HID's on. I've been meaning to get a set of amber LED bulbs for a while, but just haven't gotten around to it. Also, with LED bulbs, you will need resistors, otherwise you'll have hyper-ricer blink. The bulbs are 7440. Both bulbs and resisitors can be found here:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/tail-brake-turn.html

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The reason they come with red bulbs is because they are actually for a 93-97 Accord and a 92-96 Prelude REAR bumper lights. The front bumper lights on the 5th gen are the same size and shape, thats how/why they list them for a 5th gen. You will notice that since they are used on the front on a 5th gen, the LH and RH markings on them will be backwards. I would recommend using amber LEDs like I am using. And since they don't blink with the 7440s bulbs in the front and rear signals, no resistors or special flashers are needed.
Amber is the ONLY color allowed on the front bumper sides and red is the only allowed on the rear bumper sides.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The reason they come with red bulbs is because they are actually for a 93-97 Accord and a 92-96 Prelude REAR bumper lights. The front bumper lights on the 5th gen are the same size and shape, thats how/why they list them for a 5th gen. You will notice that since they are used on the front on a 5th gen, the LH and RH markings on them will be backwards. I would recommend using amber LEDs like I am using. And since they don't blink with the 7440s bulbs in the front and rear signals, no resistors or special flashers are needed.
Amber is the ONLY color allowed on the front bumper sides and red is the only allowed on the rear bumper sides.
What kind of LEDs are you running and whered you pick em up? if you dont mind sharing...
Need to replace my ugly red bulbs...one burned into a watered down yellow/red look while the other is trying to be red but looks dark dark pink lol.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hyper white LEDs for blinkers, sidemarkers, and city lights FTMFW and im 99.99% certain that theyre completely legal

I also had them on a corsica that i had for 3 years up until i got my prelude, no tickets and no mention by a cop eva.

·
Registered
641 Posts
In PA and im sure most other states the color code for front turn lights is Amber. That includes the side markers too. And the sides have to reflect.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for healping me out im gona go to chowchilla which is up north for the weekend and lets see what happens with my blue lights i took some pics so you could see

this one the flash mesed it up and it looks like its only half lit but in person its all lit up and bright

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What kind of LEDs are you running and whered you pick em up? if you dont mind sharing...
Need to replace my ugly red bulbs...one burned into a watered down yellow/red look while the other is trying to be red but looks dark dark pink lol.

these are the ones i used

and the person i bought them from on ebay http://stores.ebay.com/Hi-Tech-Electronics-Ltd it took a while for shipping almost like 2 weeks but i liked them also bought some bright white for the interior map light and trunk light and gona buy some for the rear license plate

·
_
2,494 Posts
www.superbrightleds.com said:
warning: if you find substantially lower LED prices on the internet, there is a reason for that:
YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR our research has proven that most suppliers offering "dirt cheap"
LEDs post exaggerated intensity specs and sell LEDs incorporating inferior Chinese dies
the specs and quality of our LEDs are guaranteed
even these guys' prices aren't that expensive. but they only have the replacement for the "168" light, which is in the sidemarker, city lights and etcetera... i'd buy some super whites to replace all my 168s except maybe for the sidemarkers, i'd leave em as super white, filament-lamps... just need bright city lights, really.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
I used to have clear leds. But i wanted a more stock-clean look. So i put amber bulbs with clear sides. Looks great at night.

In florida i got pulled over for having red running lights. The cop told me i could only have white, or amber. So if you get like a bright white or really light blue, you should be okay in most states. Florida is very leniet with automobile laws. There are no emission tests for example. In cali, its the complete opposite.

·
Banned
5,085 Posts
I used to have clear leds. But i wanted a more stock-clean look. So i put amber bulbs with clear sides. Looks great at night.

That's how I ran mine when I used to have them.

Mike (H4L)

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
That's how I ran mine when I used to have them.

Mike (H4L)
Ultimately, i'd like to have shaved oem sides and have jdm fender markers instead. I still have the ones from pwjdm in a box; Unopened:bored:
Shops wanna charge me up the wazoo to shave the stock markers.

·
_
2,494 Posts
you're not allowed to run around with no front side marker whatsoever, are you?

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
depends on the state laws more or less. However I would not run w/o side markers. Fender or bumper for that matter. I'm too concerned with safety and obeying the law the best I can.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I bought the amber LED side maker bulbs from ebay I believe their store name was superbrightLEDs or something like that.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
^ +1. Get some amber LED bulbs. I have black housing bumpers with regular halogen Clear bulbs, and I hate the way they look. Especially with my HID's on. I've been meaning to get a set of amber LED bulbs for a while, but just haven't gotten around to it. Also, with LED bulbs, you will need resistors, otherwise you'll have hyper-ricer blink. The bulbs are 7440. Both bulbs and resisitors can be found here:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/tail-brake-turn.html
OOPS! Forget what I said here^^^^^ I thought you meant the turn signals in the front of the bumper, not the marker light on the side of the bumper. Mah baaaaaaaaaaaad.:redface2:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts