Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the common locations for oil leak in the 5th gen? Beside engaging VTEC and Valve cover gasket.

Because my car have a leak near the transmission. I did check the fluid level in the M/T trans and it's good. There is always a little oil spot under the car. :eek:mg:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Could be the filter not screwed in tight I think. Or it could also be the oil pan not screwed enough. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
You have the Valve cover gasket seal which usually leaks after about 75-100K miles, the cam seal (rarely leaks), the head gasket, the main seal (crankshaft which rarely leaks) and then the oil pan gasket (which commonly leaks on Hondas) Oil pan gasket is my number one choice. However it could be that the washer for the oil drain plug is just bad and is leaking oil, seen that too.

·
HipHopHeadd
1,339 Posts
JLude said:
You have the Valve cover gasket seal which usually leaks after about 75-100K miles, the cam seal (rarely leaks), the head gasket, the main seal (crankshaft which rarely leaks) and then the oil pan gasket (which commonly leaks on Hondas) Oil pan gasket is my number one choice. However it could be that the washer for the oil drain plug is just bad and is leaking oil, seen that too.
Are you talking about the actual camshaft seal (timing belt side)or the cam plug (between the head and camshaft cap)? Anyways I had a similar leak that would run down inbetween the motor and trans. It was the cam plug and possible vtec spool valve seal. I replaced cam plug with a billet golden eagle one and replacd the vtec spool valve seal.

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
Yea if the VTEC solenoid end of the cam is called the cam plug then yes, that's the common leak point for the camshaft seals...I have rarely seen a Honda leak on the cam gear side.

·
Registered
139 Posts
the oil leaks i had so far on my prelude was bad seals and head gaskets where the oil would mix with the coolant. and one other time when the valve cover popped up somehow and shot oil slowly up lol that time it was freaky

·
Registered
792 Posts
I had three oil leaks on mine. One leak was between the distibutor and head, another was the cam seal leaking down the block. The last one was the oil filter housing seal. The first two were happening at the same time. The last one happened a couple months ago.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Yeah, I did but Honda fixed the 2 leaks in the head. I had my mechanic fix my other leak. I had to get it towed and all for a fucking 5 dollar seal.

·
HipHopHeadd
1,339 Posts
nyluder said:
Anyone have to change the o-ring behind the distributor. I heard that could be the leak.
Dizzy seals/ o-rings sometimes leak but I see more cam plugs then anything else on that side of the engine.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If it looks like it is cuming from the oil pan. Then it might be the oil filter adapter gasket. Jack the car up and start and look behind the oil filter.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I'm losing a very small amount from my transaxle. Not enough for me to worry about.

Actually, both cars are doing that. Kinda weird..

·
Registered
758 Posts
the gasket around your oil pan, after jiffy lube di my oil while i was on my lunch break. couple days later i found puddles of oil on my driveway. weird if you ask me

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just bought a gold eagle cam seal with 3 seal on it. I hope that will solve the oil leakeage problem...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts