Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello! I have a 1999 Honda Prelude base model with the 2.2 liter H22 a4. I have the automatic transmission. I would very much like to put a turbo in my car, but I need to know how much torque the stock transmission* can handle if it’s built.
I already know there’s more to it than that, I just can’t find this information anywhere :(
Please let me know!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,487 Posts
You should be more concerned with the transmission failing.

At this point in time with how old the bushings and struts are, they wont last long.

There is a ton of info out there as you said. Sorry, but you wanting to turbo an auto says a lot about how much you searched.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should be more concerned with the transmission failing.

At this point in time with how old the bushings and struts are, they wont last long.

There is a ton of info out there as you said. Sorry, but you wanting to turbo an auto says a lot about how much you searched.
Yeahhh like I said, I already know all these things. I need to know ONE THING!!! What is my torque limit with my stock transmission? Trying to decide wether or not I’m gonna build mine up or swap it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeahhh like I said, I already know all these things. I need to know ONE THING!!! What is my torque limit with my stock transmission? Trying to decide wether or not I’m gonna build mine up or swap it.
Omfg...my post autocorrected “transmission” to “suspension”! I promise I’m not stupid I meant to ask about transmission not freakin suspension 😂

·
Registered
25 Posts
i have an automatic with 300,000 kms and a flare in 2nd an i can say the limit isnt much more than i have now. i agree with wing8806

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have an automatic with 300,000 kms and a flare in 2nd an i can say the limit isnt much more than i have now. i agree with wing8806
So what’s the number? I need to know in ft-lbs how much torque the stock transmission can handle. That’s all I need, that one number 😅

·
Super Moderator
6,487 Posts
There is not a listed definite number for the torque converters limit. It's more of a how long will it last type deal.

There were many autos running the JRSC kit years back, on average a stock setup made around 200tq. If you have the transmission rebuilt by say a company like level1 in NJ and run a transmission cooler, you can hold down a good bit more.

Best guys to ask are playludesc and turboprelude97. Both are boosted autos, first being sc stock trans, other turbo and built trans.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is not a listed definite number for the torque converters limit. It's more of a how long will it last type deal.

There were many autos running the JRSC kit years back, on average a stock setup made around 200tq. If you have the transmission rebuilt by say a company like level1 in NJ and run a transmission cooler, you can hold down a good bit more.

Best guys to ask are playludesc and turboprelude97. Both are boosted autos, first being sc stock trans, other turbo and built trans.
Bless man, I appreciate it! I’ll ask them and I really appreciate your time :))) can’t wait to build my car how I want haha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts