Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
gay crap...i bought a headlight restoration kit today and it was all good until it came time to polish it.....it looks like it took care of the yellowness/rough texture and all that but now its a clean kind of gray murky, like when you try to dry them with a wet towel...and the polish that came with the kit won't get it off! :mad: anyone have any suggestions?

edit: I used some Meguiar's Liquid Wax and it's working...but slowly, even though now its much better than before, I still want it clearer. Is it just a matter of doing it for longer/harder or whats goin on

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
I used a dremel with a polishing wheel to polish my headlights after I applied the plastic polish, try that.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
What grit of sandpaper did you finish off wetsanding with?
Try going as high as 2000 grit, and then get some rubbing compound to finish the job off.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I did mine...kind of...I still have some work to do, but i started wetsanding with 600 lightly for a few minutes until the headlight was all the same texture (no excessively rough spots). Then I went to 1000, did the same, then 1500, then 2000. After all that wetsanding, I used polishing compound. That did it for the most part, but I could still see swirls from the applicator i was using, so I used a product called Semichrome, it's a metal polish that I've been using at my military academy and it works well on metal so I figured id give it a shot. Worked wonders. I could put some more time into it though. Another hour of work and I have a feeling they'll be crystal clear...and a dremel would be a Godsend...

-JB

·
Registered
289 Posts
This thead is perfect timing! I wanted to surprise my brother and take care of the headlights on his 2001 for him.

So it sounds like the fading / yellowing is not in the plastic? I'm assuming that you have to take apart the assembly and you're polishing the inside of the head light cover?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Trip said:
This thead is perfect timing! I wanted to surprise my brother and take care of the headlights on his 2001 for him.

So it sounds like the fading / yellowing is not in the plastic? I'm assuming that you have to take apart the assembly and you're polishing the inside of the head light cover?

Its ON the outside of the lense. You dont need to take anything apart or even off the car, just watch the paint as you get near the edges of the headlight!

Good Luck!

-JB

·
Wonder Bread
1,905 Posts
3000 grit wet/dry sandpaper
water
mothers plastic polish
mothers power ball

thats all i used but keep the lense wet so just hold a garden hose up to it and sand away

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
SCGMafia said:
gay crap...i bought a headlight restoration kit today and it was all good until it came time to polish it.....it looks like it took care of the yellowness/rough texture and all that but now its a clean kind of gray murky, like when you try to dry them with a wet towel...and the polish that came with the kit won't get it off! :mad: anyone have any suggestions?

edit: I used some Meguiar's Liquid Wax and it's working...but slowly, even though now its much better than before, I still want it clearer. Is it just a matter of doing it for longer/harder or whats goin on
Just curious, what year is your Lude, seems that only 99 and up are the ones with fading/yellowing problems.

·
Registered
289 Posts
stupafly22 said:
Its ON the outside of the lense. You dont need to take anything apart or even off the car, just watch the paint as you get near the edges of the headlight!

Good Luck!

-JB

Sweet! That's what I wanted to hear. I'll start with a plastic polish and some cleaner wax and see what happens. If not, I've used rubbing compound and a wet sander before. I wonder how that would work on the head light covers? :eh:

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
edge2lyfe said:
Just curious, what year is your Lude, seems that only 99 and up are the ones with fading/yellowing problems.
yeah mine's a 1999...kinda solved the problem but its still kinda unclear but the crusty crap/yellowness is gone...now I just need to polish it really hard i guess...i'll post pics later

1 - 11 of 11 Posts