Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some scratches on my car (old keying)
I ordered some touchup paint and it is a perfect match to the R-51 color.
I have a bunch of automotive sandpaper ranging from 800-2000 grit.

To start things out before doing the real scratches on the outside of my car. I opened the doorjamb and took off the lower trimplate. I made a scratch with my key, not too deep nor long, but it will be hidden afterwards. I then made sure the scratch was clean, primed it, let it dry and then used the touchup paint. I used a total of 2 layers of paint to build the scratch up a little higher than the surface paint. I used a tooth pick and a very small modelling brush to ensure the majority of the paint stayed in the scratch, there wasn't a ton on the edges of the scratch.

here is my issue. I can only wetsand with the 2000 grit for about 30 seconds before the original paint starts to get dark and wear off. I am not pushing hard but I am applying some pressure.

Is this the paint burning? Or am I getting rid of the clearcoat and the actual paint? How do I fill the scratch, then sand it smooth to make it look as good as new?

Is there even clearcoat on this part of the paint? and if so does it differ from the amount on the outside?

If I just paint the touchup paint on, it looks like shit, and you can tell that it has been touched up.

·
Premium Member
4,397 Posts
usually keying a car goes further than the clear coat, you you are trying to get a scratch out that is basically into the primer almost. So ya i'm pretty sure you are just eating the paint away.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll grab some pictures of the scratch tommorow. There is also some damage on the passenger side door, on the edge of the handle/keyhole.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts