Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought all the necessary parts for wet sanding and polishing my headlights today, but the only thing I'm concerned about is that Home Depot didnt have 2000 grit sandpaper.. only 600. Will 600 be ok to use or do I need something finer/smoother? The 600 grit feels smooth enough, but I'll leave it to you guys to decide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
978 Posts
Wow.. well, there's a huge difference between 600 and 2000.

Yeah, I figured Home Depot doesn't have it.. go to Lowe's or something..

I don't have any experience with wet sanding headlights.. don't know why you would do it, but I highly recommend you get the right grit.

I could see you getting away with 1800, but 600? damn.
 

·
HipHopHeadd
Joined
·
1,339 Posts
600 would not be fine enough IMO. But maybe someone else has more paint/ bodywork experience.
 

·
RHD Pimpin
Joined
·
10,152 Posts
Don't use 600 grit, that's too ruff...Go to an Auto part store like Auto Zone and get some 2000 grit paper. If you have a buffer, it makes the job alot easier/better...Here is a lense I did the other day

Before


After
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
I got my 2000 grit from Pep Boys. i think it was like 5 bucks. good luck. mine ended up just as bad now (worse even) a few months afterwards than they were then :jehon:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
310 Posts
I bought the full kit [headlight polishing kit] fromm autozone for $15.

It included the pads and pre-applied compound, all I added was a few drops of water. The difference was night and day, my lude is a 97 with 149K and I don't think that thows headlights were ever fully clean.

Other issue:
The paint shop that painted my front bumper got some on my headlight, what should use to take it off, I was told gasoline....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I just ran out to Pep Boys and got some 3M Imperial Wetordry sandpaper 1500 grit.. (2000 grit was sold out).. is 1500 too rough, or I'll be ok?

btw.. I'm using a dremel with a polishing wheel.
 

·
RHD Pimpin
Joined
·
10,152 Posts
ludespeed501 said:
I just ran out to Pep Boys and got some 3M Imperial Wetordry sandpaper 1500 grit.. (2000 grit was sold out).. is 1500 too rough, or I'll be ok?

btw.. I'm using a dremel with a polishing wheel.
1500 will be fine. When you wet sand, don't put alot of presure onto the lense. Just kinda go with the flow and take your time.

BC2_BB6 said:
I bought the full kit [headlight polishing kit] fromm autozone for $15.

It included the pads and pre-applied compound, all I added was a few drops of water. The difference was night and day, my lude is a 97 with 149K and I don't think that thows headlights were ever fully clean.

Other issue:
The paint shop that painted my front bumper got some on my headlight, what should use to take it off, I was told gasoline....
Gas will possibly take it off. Try a little bit in one spot and see what happens. I usually just sand that off as well whenever I recieve lenses with overspray on them
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
prelude1897 said:
1500 will be fine. When you wet sand, don't put alot of presure onto the lense. Just kinda go with the flow and take your time.
alright, thanks for the tip. :emthup:
 

·
RHD Pimpin
Joined
·
10,152 Posts
ludespeed501 said:
alright, thanks for the tip. :emthup:
not a problem, just here to help out
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,085 Posts
Before





Sorry my old stock ones were in such bad condition. I am glad I went with new housings for my retros I had you do. They arrived back at my other house and I will be seeing them for the first time in about 2 hours from now. Thanks a million Brian.

Mike
[email protected]
 

·
RHD Pimpin
Joined
·
10,152 Posts
Honda4Life said:
Sorry my old stock ones were in such bad condition. I am glad I went with new housings for my retros I had you do. They arrived back at my other house and I will be seeing them for the first time in about 2 hours from now. Thanks a million Brian.

Mike
[email protected]
It's not a problem, I've recieved worst lenses than that. I've gotten some that the whole lense was straight up yellow, so I didn't even bother to wet sand them, I just sold them off...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
If you can locate a polish made by mequires that is called headlight restore. I think. Anyways, this is so much safer and just as effective as wet sanding and it only requires half the time and effort. It is a couple of dollars per bottle but I used it on my headlights and it worked great. The guy that owned the car before me tried to wet sand the headlights and needless to say scratched the lens all up. The polish fixed the scratches and made them look just as good as new.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just got done wet sanding the headlights. they look alot better than what they used to be, but they're not 100% perfect. stupid dremel keeps leaving lines when I polish over the compound.
 

·
bangin' gears
Joined
·
15,675 Posts
ludespeed501 said:
I just got done wet sanding the headlights. they look alot better than what they used to be, but they're not 100% perfect. stupid dremel keeps leaving lines when I polish over the compound.
buffing the inside of the lens helps alot as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,105 Posts
has anyone here tried spraying clear coat on after wet sanding??? it really finishes the job. looks like a brand new head light, id highly recommend it to you all.
 

·
RHD Pimpin
Joined
·
10,152 Posts
flamencolude97 said:
has anyone here tried spraying clear coat on after wet sanding??? it really finishes the job. looks like a brand new head light, id highly recommend it to you all.
what type of clear coat do you use? I've been wanting to find out about this. I know it would have to be a certain type of clear coat for it to work
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
i thought off all the above and tried all of the above. the most effective was using plastx from meguires. others dont last long but the plastx plastic polish is still on and havent done anything it since.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top