Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, most of us, but it's only important when selling. I am not an attorney and this post is not to be construed as legal advice. However, as Ignorance of the law is no excuse, I thought I'd surface something I've learned from other folks' hardships of late:

Did you know that you're subject to a fine of $4,800 per day if you modify your induction or emission system, and:

Rent/lease/hire (uber/lyft) your car?
Sell your car?
Or otherwise transfer ownership?

Here where I live, no emission test or vehicle inspection, I can do whatever I want to my lude and still keep it registered. So, f* the catalytic converter and EGR. If I sell it though, best if my custom exhaust has a removable section I can put a cat in pre-sale. That EGR blockoff plate needs to go in the back seat with the cat-delete pipe, and the OEM EGR re-installed. Same thing if you turbo/supercharge -- put those parts in the back seat, and revert to a stock induction system.

Because the EPA will tot up the number of days you had your lude up for sale with altered induction and emission controls, and multiply by $4,800. So I'm just sayin' it's good to be aware of this. Even if it's one day, $4,800 is quite the chunk of change as a penalty for selling a Prelude.

The only loophole, is if you die, and will your lude to someone. I've reached out to Doug DeMuro and Ebay Motors to see if I can glean any knowledge from what their attorneys tell them about this issue (not expecting replies). It's third-party liability for, say, Craigslist allowing you to post a for-sale ad. But if you're taking a percentage of the sale price? I didn't pay my attorney to do anything more than glance at this issue, but he said yeah, they'd be liable for that percentage of any EPA fines.

Oh, same goes for water/meth injection. Ethanol is approved as a gasoline additive in the US. Methanol is not. Why AEM and others have the disclaimer about off-road use only. What they don't tell you, is you'll need to uninstall their system and put it in the back seat with the cat-delete pipe, EGR blockoff plate, and turbocharger, before selling the car on.

The real issue I'm researching, is my planned "G" motor builds. "Date of Manufacture" for a motor, is the date the crankshaft was first installed in the block. The result, to be EPA certified, must meet emission regulations in effect on the Date of Manufacture. So if I rebuild my lude motor today, 1995 emissions apply, but if I drop in that 99mm stroked F20C crank today, 2022 emission regs apply.

Which is another thing they can ding you for under the Clean Air Act. EPA-certified H motors never had 99mm stroke. Bit of a task to throw that in the back seat, tho...

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As my newest vehicles are 2004, I haven't run into this sort of problem:

Must be something in the CAA that caused manufacturers to do this. In a nutshell, a Subaru catalytic converter failed, causing a bunch of unrelated systems to throw errors and stop functioning -- despite nothing being wrong with them. Wizard mentions Chevy pickups will disable air conditioning. For no reason other than to incentivize the owner to replace the cat if they want cruise control, AC, etc. to function again.

I remember being 16 years old and bashing out the cat on my Rabbit with hammer and chisel. De rigeur at the time, but didn't really do anything for power because a hollowed-out cat screws up scavenging, the proper way to do a cat delete is replace it with some pipe. But, bitd, at least doing that didn't make my car's computer decide to cripple auxiliary systems! Is the current state of affairs extortion or blackmail? lol

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Semi-topical to this thread, because not EPA/CAA related, but still... the trials and tribulations of being a small custom car shop:

Dude missed a $20K payment for 9 months, got all butt-hurt that his build was re-prioritized to last. Well hell, that's just standard custom and practice. Getting an engine built by someone working on several others? Don't miss a payment if you don't want to get bumped to the back of the line, this case is ridiculous but I'm following it as it continues to develop.

All butt-hurt he'll have to wait a few more months for a fucking Batmobile. lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts