Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Oi Oi Oi
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My preludes throwing a code for insufficient EGR flow, and I know how to fix it, but my ports (as well as my girlfriends and another poster in an EGR cleaning thread) are welded shut. Does anyone know if this is difficult to remove so I can finally take care of my poor clogged EGR ports?? is it easily removed so I can get to the plugs?
Help much appreciated

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
just sand them down do they are pretty flat. then just drill a hole into it. i did this last week it worked pretty well. to do it this way tho u need the intake off the car also pipe cleaners work well......u can tap it and put a screw in it, i just put jb weld in and it worked fine. if you need anything else let me know.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
and if you do what to get to the plugs they are there but they are just welded over. so u would have to do a lot of sanding.

·
Oi Oi Oi
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, i'll prolly grab a circular metal cutting bit for the drill and take care of it on friday and do my girlsfriends too.
did you notice any improvement after doing yours? I'm just curious, seems like theres alot of different ideas on how much this helps your engine. i just want that CEL to go away..

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
well my engine only had like 40k on it. but i had to use like 4 bottles of carb cleaner lol. im guessing you need to take the egr off i bet its packed with shit mine was and i didnt even have many miles on it.

my car was running crappy before so thats why i did it. i didnt notice anything really but it also didnt fix my car so it was still running crappy so i couldnt tell if it did help. but im sure it did there was a lot of carbon in there.

·
Oi Oi Oi
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, I have a CEL because of clogged EGR ports so... I'm going to do it. I guess I'll just take a metal cutting bit to them and hopefully that opens them up. I'll be doing it this friday so I'll post how it goess. I've seen a few aftermarket IMs with welded ports too which make me wonder wtf theyr're thinking when it throws a code when they clog up...

·
Registered
575 Posts
well, I have a CEL because of clogged EGR ports so... I'm going to do it. I guess I'll just take a metal cutting bit to them and hopefully that opens them up. I'll be doing it this friday so I'll post how it goess. I've seen a few aftermarket IMs with welded ports too which make me wonder wtf theyr're thinking when it throws a code when they clog up...

The reason why you see them welded up is because you can chip the egr out of the computer so it dosnt throw a code and mess with the brain. I have no egr on mine and i have a p06 chiped with chrome and the po6 has no egr so its not even there.

·
Oi Oi Oi
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Huh... thats odd. I was trying to get my head around the logic of welding them.. Anyway I have them open now so I'm cleaning them out

·
Prelude Tech Kid
606 Posts
What code do you have? I don't have a code for insufficient EGR flow, just an EGR code..

EDIT: NVM, you have OBD2

G

·
Ok, just so I'm 100% clear about this.

My EGR ports on my obd1 H22a intake manifold are welded over from the factory just like my b21 manifold was.

Are there unthreadable plugs below this weld, or is that only on a 5th gen that there are already unthreadable plugs?

G

·
Bump: because searching is yielding nothing

Has anyone with a 4th gen or OBD1 H22a, ever sanded down the welds that cover the EGR ports on the intake manifold?

I need to know if there are reusable plugs under there, or not?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Dont bother with re-using the plugs just get a tap that fits the hole and put bolts in there in place of the plugs that way if you have to clean them out again its much easier.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts