Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I had the same noise in the left rear. I took the strut out and replaced the rubber ring at the top and cured it.

Check the torque on all bolts in right rear also

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
Its called the "Shock Knock," it is the rubber piece that sits at the top of the suspension and the metal piece is rubbin against the outside to make that noise.

My car does the exact same thing and I'm waiting for the rubber piece to get here from california so I can finally get rid of that annoying noise

·
8====D ---> ( | ) = win
1,663 Posts
^
lol

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
got the same problem with mine i think its a bushing or rubber ring like said before but im not gonna really worry about it till summer time when i can work on it

If you have the right tools and the ring its about 15 minutes. But not a safety issue until the rubber ring is completely gone.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
hmmm thanks for the info maybe ill order that up a little sooner. why is it a safety hazard though?
If the ring goes there is no support or alignment to the top of the strut tower allowing the strut to piviot in the tower which causes the alignment of the wheel to shift. Not to mention the horrible noise that it would make and maybe damage the tower also.

Certainly not the greatest of dangers unless left unaddressed for some time.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Ya might also wanna check your sway bar end links. Not sure if you have an aftermarket sway bar on the rear, but my Suspension Techniques bar destroyed 3 out of the 4 end links on the car. New OEM end links do the trick.:cool:

·
Registered
190 Posts
i had the same problem.
replaced the washer and bushing and it was cured.

i thought it was a horrible balancing issue for the longest time, but nope.

quite a simple fix.

·
Registered
133 Posts
So do you need to actually replace the metal shock collar when you get this noise or just the rubber bushings?

I've been waiting for ages for the metal shock collar to arrive from Japan. Stupid Honda NZ won't give me a New Zealand one cause my car is a Jap import. I bet they are identical :(

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Call honda and tell them u want the rubber ring at the top of the rear strut. Theres only 1.

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts