Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
like the title says. i have a strange cold start issue. i cannot for the life of me figure out why. ill try to explain this the best i can.

this only happens after the car sits for 4 hours or more btw. ill use the first start of the day just as an example. i get in as usual, get all comfy in my nice 4th gen seats
, put the key in the hole and crank it over. well during this first start of the day, it takes about 4 times as long as it should to actually start. then it does start, and it seems to run really (not dangerously) rough. my rpms are at around 1300 - 1500...normal for cold start rpms, but it sounds like it misfires. well heres the thing, it doesent misfire, it just sounds like it does. no wacky idle, no popping/backfiring (other then the usual strange random popping my engine does). i cant figure out why its doing this. it has done it since the i got the engine in the car about 2 months ago, and im getting fed up with this problem, so now, ill take my questions here to you guys. it also seems to shake when it idles (which is another reason it feels kinda like a misfire). i can bring it up to about 2000-2500 rpms, and the shaking gets progressivle worse. but after a certain rpm (id say a little after 2300) the shaking goes away.

with high hopes to cure this problem, i have so far replaced:
the spark plugs - not the problem
the wires - not the problem
the entire distributor (came with new cap and rotor) - not the problem
the fuel filter - not the problem
i had a test pipe on there in place of my cat, so i now have an actual (new)catalytic converter - not the problem
the ecu is a chipped p28 from phearable so its not the computer

i have a code 22 for the vtec oil pressure switch, but that has nothing to do with it. i run 5w30 mobile 1 synthetc oil incase anyone is wondering. i run premium 93 octane incase any is wondering that too. and like a said before, it only happens when the car is cold. i can start it, itll run rough, let it warm up a little bit, shut it off, and start it up again and it runs and starts fine. fires on the 1st-2nd crank like it should. im shot for ideas here. can ANYONE please help me out, i dont want to hurt my engine with something as stupid as this.

im sorry the post is so long and greatly thank anyone for reading it.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
try the battery...maybe its dying or you need to replace it for one with a higher cold crank amps rating...as far as it running rough when first started it is just where the oil ran to the bottom of the oil pan and needs to cycle back through...

·
Registered
50 Posts
i had the same problem with my car it is most likely ur coolant temp. sensor its not giving ur car not enough fuel to start its located right below the distibutor

·
Registered
792 Posts
I had a similar situation where I would have to start my car twice in the morning. Went out a got a new battery but the problem was still there. Now that it's warmer where I am it starts the first time. It might be a fuel delivery issue.

·
Registered
285 Posts
jdawgs92ludesi said:
try the battery...maybe its dying or you need to replace it for one with a higher cold crank amps rating...as far as it running rough when first started it is just where the oil ran to the bottom of the oil pan and needs to cycle back through...
the batt is brand new, i replaced it a few months ago with 600 cca. thats more then enough for around here.

as for the coolant temp suggestion, i dont see how that would effect it. like i said, it doesent do it all the time. only the first start of the day, or anytime the car sits for more then 4 hours. ive never heard of a coolant temp sensor doing that.

·
Registered
50 Posts
it is a great possibility it is coolant temp sensor cause in the morning it would take long time to start and when it started i i would try to give it a lil gas and it will either staal out or drop to 500rpm it sounded like it was flooded and after i got it started it would start fine for the rest of the day unless i let it sit for to log then it will do it again

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jdawgs92ludesi said:
try changing your oil.....try using a thinner oil and see if that doesnt help any...other than that i think it might be something that you should get used to i guess cause i have no clue
if i did that, id be running 0w30 and i dont want that lol.

it could be the cooltan temp sensor, i was thinking he was talking about the fan switch. just misunderstood. the day i posetd that was a verry LONG day at work. ive never seen so many cars come into the shop in the same day in my life.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Just wanted to bring this back up to see whether it could be a Fuel Pressure Regulator. On my girlfriends car this is what caused her hard starts so i was thinking about getting an adjustable one for my car. Maybe fuel filter? maybe coolant temp sensor

1 - 9 of 9 Posts