Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Have an 86 lx in which I just replaced the master cylinder and booster and have plenty of pad left. I've bled them until, when not moving, they are tight. I've run all the tests in the big shop manual and it passes them all- all cylinders are fine, booster and master are fine, and there are no leaks. When I am driving, however, I get about half the length of the pedal travel with very little or no brake engagement and the brakes only engage when the pedal is near the floor. And then the brakes aren't grabbing very well- I couldn't lock them up if I wanted to. This was happening before and was the reason I replaced the master cylinder and the booster. When I looked at the back brakes previously, they pads were about a 1/4 inch off the rotors and still had the glazing on them- they had never engaged. While bleeding them this time I could confirm that the backs were closing on the rotors but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean they will while in motion? My next check is to see if that (the backs not touching the pads) is still happening- either way, any thoughts on what the issue could be?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I replaced my rear calipers recently because the caliper bolt receivers on the rotor/axle side were frozen and could not really be removed without damage. The pads would seize up. I can see where the opposite could happen also. So make sure your caliper mounting pin is greased up, as well as the caliper mount side bolt receivers. They should be floating in and out of the mounting hardware without sticking.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
brakes

seeing as you have put in new cylinder you have got new fluid in throughout, I'd double check you haven't got air stuck somewhere as this could be reason your getting such poor pedal feedback only takes a bit to be in there to give you the same feeling. other ones are normally old fluid but that shouldn't be an issue unless you emptied the existing fluid and filled it back up with the same stuff! lol! Or maybe it's old fluid you've had sitting around for a very long long time that's been opened and left in a not very good sealed container then it could have gone off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts