Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Love the power of H
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if any one has had this pronlem? A couple of my friends keep telling me that a weighted shift knob will mess up your trans. Now this sound like BS but i was wondering if any one has heard the same thing or something like that?

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Utter bullshit.
The thing that screws up the tranny is the way you change gear.

·
BAN ALL MODS!!!
2,149 Posts
Yeah, Im not sure what kind of reasoning they were using when telling you that. I agree with 88, slamming gears, grinding gears, and other factors can and will screw your tranny. Not a shift knob that weighs a little more than the stock.

·
Love the power of H
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah i thought the same thing cause a true type r knob is weighted and it dont tear anything up on those cars.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I am wondering if any one has had this pronlem? A couple of my friends keep telling me that a weighted shift knob will mess up your trans. Now this sound like BS but i was wondering if any one has heard the same thing or something like that?

Slamming gears, grinding gears, and mis-shifting is what kills synchros and transmissions.

A weighted shift knob by itself won't do anything. However, bad driving with a weighted shift knob does make it easier for you to damage a transmission due to the decreased effort required to switch gears.

So if you're a bad driver or someone that mis-shifts during spirited driving, a weighted shift knob can aid you in putting just enough force to screw up your otherwise good transmission. But honestly, if you're a bad driver it would've happened eventually regardless of the shift knob.

·
Registered
881 Posts
There was a misconception that floated around the interwebs a couple years ago about how weighted shift knobs (through shift linkage) close the gap at the synchros causing oil starvation or some crap like that. Keeping the shifter pushed into gear, like resting your hand on it in 5th...like your pusing it "more into" 5th can cause premature synchro wear. Downward weight isnt a problem though especially since our cars use cables and not a rod.

·
Love the power of H
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There was a misconception that floated around the interwebs a couple years ago about how weighted shift knobs (through shift linkage) close the gap at the synchros causing oil starvation or some crap like that. Keeping the shifter pushed into gear, like resting your hand on it in 5th...like your pusing it "more into" 5th can cause premature synchro wear. Downward weight isnt a problem though especially since our cars use cables and not a rod.
Yeah they had civic and that is ehat they were telling me.

·
iHeart iVTEC
3,933 Posts
Keeping the shifter pushed into gear, like resting your hand on it in 5th...like your pusing it "more into" 5th can cause premature synchro wear. Downward weight isnt a problem though especially since our cars use cables and not a rod.
this can also eventually bend your shifter as well, and I would think a weighted shift knob would only speed up this damage. But a weighted shift knob alone won't damage anything...unless it weighs like 50lbs.

·
Registered
759 Posts
i've been told that a weighted shift knob does little for our cars because we use cables and not rods. i forget who it was... maybe it was pete from pspec? or someone with a track car, either way that's just what i was told. something about the prelude's system not being a real lever type that benefits from the weighted shift knob. just what i was told but never looked into.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts